"SATU MARE" Satu Mare by balhannah

Satu Mare Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 85 photos

OUR FIRST ROMANIAN TOWN

Satu Mare is a City of approx. 130,000 people and is the capital of Satu Mare County. Satu Mare means literally "Big village” and came from medieval chronicles from 10th century
It is located in the Northwestern part of Romania, just 20-minutes from the border of Hungary.

The city was first mentioned in 1181 as Castrum Zotmar, a fortified stronghold from which the town derives its name. Satu means village and Mare means big.

Satu Mare has a continental climate, so expect hot dry summers and cold winters.

Did you know Satu Mare has supplied the most world and Olympic champions in the sport of FENCING!

I went walking and discovered a few sights, so come on a virtual tour with me

Please come with me my Virtual friend, for we are travelling to JUDETUL MARAMURES

• Cons:Busy city
  • In a nutshell:Not much to see other than Churches
  • Last visit to Satu Mare: May 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 14, 2014

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Nice information and beautiful pictures!

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Dee, very informative page on a lesser visited location. I feel its always nice to stop off in lesser known places. A different experience.
    Ps ... Love any type of train.... Well almost any. Nice train pic.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We both like the backroads and have really enjoyed the villages and sights we have seen. A plus, we can drive slower and take in the beauty! In Romania, it was a minus in some of these places as the roads were so bad, we ran out of time to see all we wanted, this was disappointing as I don't think we will be able to go back. I would love too though!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2013 at 4:27 AM

I found it interesting that the churches were locked so much. wonder why. I liked how different the churches look from others you might see in europe. Loved the look of the orthodox church

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Me too. I found a website with photos of the inside and it was beautiful. I tried to add it, but it wouldn't - shame. These Churches usually are beautiful inside. I have managed to see inside some, most often no photo's allowed. Australian churches are mostly locked, except for the main ones in the cities. Evidently, it is incase of vandalism.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

What gorgeous chapels, fountains and statues. A very lovely place. Excellent page!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Dee, lovely little page about this Romanian gem. So far I have visited several towns in Romania, but Satu Mare wasn't among them. I like the photo of the train. We have used these kind of trains already quite a few times in Romania and it was always a good travel adventure.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Thanks Holger. I didn't get to see all I wanted, because the roads were in terrible repair, making for very slow travel throughout parts of the country.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

A good start - will be coming back for more :)

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Satu Mare

Have you been to Satu Mare?

Latest Activity in Satu Mare