"I LOVED GDANSK!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk by balhannah
Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,214 reviews and 3,682 photos
WORLD WAR II BEGAN IN GDANSK - POLAND
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL OLD CITY
Gdansk is a thousand years old!
Situated on the Baltic Sea in the north of Poland, Gdansk is a beautiful port city with a long history.
The fort was built in the 980s by Mieszko I of Poland, as defence against the pagans, becoming a busy trade centre in the 14th century, with about 10,000 residents.
In 1308, it was seized and demolished by the Teutonic Knights.
All was not lost, as the City once again flourished, and in 1361, it became a full member of the Hanseatic League, a trading monopoly which operated in the Baltic at the time.
In the 16th century, it was the most important Baltic port, and Poland’s largest city.
In later years...................
World War II began over a dispute over the control of the city.
By the end of the war, the city lay almost completely in ruins.
The German population was replaced by Poles as the city came under Polish rule and changed its name to Gdansk.
Now, most of the old buildings damaged or destroyed in WWII have been restored or rebuilt.
In modern history, Gdansk is known as the birthplace of Solidarity, the labor and democracy movement that helped to bring down the Communist government in Poland, and subsequently marked the beginning of the end of the Cold War.
ARRIVING BY "VISION OF THE SEAS" CRUISE SHIP
Our 4th Port of Call....
It was disappointing that we only had a short day in Poland.
We arrived at Gdynia, Poland at 11am, and we had to be back by 6pm!
Not long, but we made the best of our time!
What a lovely welcome we enjoyed!
A Brass Band arrived not long after our Ship had docked, and as soon as all the formalities were over, they started playing and marching!
Poland gave us the best welcome out of all our Cruise Ports.
MEETING MY "VIRTUAL" FRIEND
Poland, and not only were we seeing a new Country, but I was meeting my VT friend Ewa "evaanna" for real!
As my husband and I walked towards the gated area, I was looking hard to see if I could recognize her, and sure enough, the person I thought was Ewa, was!
How lovely it was to meet at last, and to meet her lovely husband Chris, who was kind enough to do the driving.
Ewa was a good guide, and showed us sights we probably wouldn't have seen on a tour.
We can-not thank Ewa and Chris enough for the wonderful time in Gdansk with them, our only regret was time went too fast!!
We are back on the Ship after saying our good-byes to Ewa & Chris. It isn't long before it's anchors away, and we are sailing out of Gdynia and heading to our next port of call, which is VISBY - SWEDEN.
- Pros:Easy to walk around
- In a nutshell:Leave plenty of time so you see everything!
Granary Island, and no granaries in one piece left, just the skeletal ruins! In the 16th century, these Granaries were... more travel advice
I guess you are wondering about the heading? Street stalls, proper small buildings along many of the streets of Gdansk.... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Gdansk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freedom, Solidarity and German heritage"
- "Gdansk - the great city."
- "Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city"
- "Gdansk - German spirit port of Poland"
- "I LOVED GDANSK!"
- "Gdansk - A Phoenix Risen From the Ashes"
- "The Treasures of Gdansk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gdansk
- Hotels in Gdansk
- Transportation in Gdansk
- Nightlife in Gdansk
- Restaurants in Gdansk
- Shopping in Gdansk
- Warnings and Dangers in Gdansk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gdansk
- 37 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gdansk
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue