"I LOVED GDANSK!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk by balhannah

Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,214 reviews and 3,679 photos

WORLD WAR II BEGAN IN GDANSK - POLAND

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL OLD CITY

Gdansk is a thousand years old!

Situated on the Baltic Sea in the north of Poland, Gdansk is a beautiful port city with a long history.

The fort was built in the 980s by Mieszko I of Poland, as defence against the pagans, becoming a busy trade centre in the 14th century, with about 10,000 residents.

In 1308, it was seized and demolished by the Teutonic Knights.

All was not lost, as the City once again flourished, and in 1361, it became a full member of the Hanseatic League, a trading monopoly which operated in the Baltic at the time.

In the 16th century, it was the most important Baltic port, and Poland’s largest city.

In later years...................

World War II began over a dispute over the control of the city.

By the end of the war, the city lay almost completely in ruins.

The German population was replaced by Poles as the city came under Polish rule and changed its name to Gdansk.

Now, most of the old buildings damaged or destroyed in WWII have been restored or rebuilt.

In modern history, Gdansk is known as the birthplace of Solidarity, the labor and democracy movement that helped to bring down the Communist government in Poland, and subsequently marked the beginning of the end of the Cold War.

ARRIVING BY "VISION OF THE SEAS" CRUISE SHIP

Our 4th Port of Call....

It was disappointing that we only had a short day in Poland.

We arrived at Gdynia, Poland at 11am, and we had to be back by 6pm!

Not long, but we made the best of our time!

What a lovely welcome we enjoyed!

A Brass Band arrived not long after our Ship had docked, and as soon as all the formalities were over, they started playing and marching!

Poland gave us the best welcome out of all our Cruise Ports.

MEETING MY "VIRTUAL" FRIEND

Poland, and not only were we seeing a new Country, but I was meeting my VT friend Ewa "evaanna" for real!

As my husband and I walked towards the gated area, I was looking hard to see if I could recognize her, and sure enough, the person I thought was Ewa, was!

How lovely it was to meet at last, and to meet her lovely husband Chris, who was kind enough to do the driving.

Ewa was a good guide, and showed us sights we probably wouldn't have seen on a tour.

We can-not thank Ewa and Chris enough for the wonderful time in Gdansk with them, our only regret was time went too fast!!

We are back on the Ship after saying our good-byes to Ewa & Chris. It isn't long before it's anchors away, and we are sailing out of Gdynia and heading to our next port of call, which is VISBY - SWEDEN.

• Pros:Easy to walk around
  • In a nutshell:Leave plenty of time so you see everything!
  • Last visit to Gdansk: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2013

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM

What a nice cruise, and how nice to meet a VT buddy!

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM

When were you there? I'm not gonna read your page I know the history. :) Gdansk may be 1,000 years old, but 90% of the city had to be rebuilt after WWII. But I guess it counts when it was founded. It was actually founded by the Kashubians, in 996.

And was her husband's name Chris, or Krzysiek?

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM

She introduced him as Chris, but I guess it is spelt different to that. Ewa in English is Eva. The city is like Dresden which has mainly new buildings through being bombed. We were there in July 2011.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
      Dec 12, 2013 at 2:35 AM

He is pan Krzysztof and not Krzysiek to you, Brian. He is not your age.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2013 at 3:41 AM

How nice that you could meet your VT-friend Ewa during your short visit to Gdansk! II will visit Gdansk for the first time in the beginning of next year.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Very different to where you have been holidaying, but I think you will love it. The old town is beautiful! Thanks Malena!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2013 at 4:51 AM

You were so lucky to meet Eva and have her for a guide. A few short hours is just not enough time in Gdansk, though. Visit again and stay longer. You missed the Solidarity museum... another great stop.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I really don't know, but Pawtuxet is often in Poland finding her ancestors, so I imagine she would know.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Dec 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM

There is a wonderful little museum just inside the famous gates where the workers took their stand. Outside the gate is a wonderful memorial. The museum was small and fairly new when I was there. They may have expanded in the past several years. See my Gdansk page for more info. I was very touched by all of it. Authentic and thought provoking. I brought home a wonderful soulvenir. The guard at the gate gave me one of the flags that hung over the well known gate. I cherish it.

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Oh. You've been there, done that. Super. Great pictures. My lady travel and dancing companion comes from Katowice, Silesia.
    Lots of Polish life for me.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Wow, this place is absolutely charming and the house paintings are so beautiful! I can see why you love this place. Excellent page Dee!

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Thanks Dee. We were lucky to have vt'er "evanna' and her husband to show and tell us about the sights. They really made this an extra enjoyable time in Gdansk.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2012 at 4:23 AM

How lovely that you had such a great tour with Ewa and Chris! It is so nice to see a place with locals, isn't it? You get to see the sights but with a different perspective :-) And they always know where to buy the best ice cream!!

And thanks for the interesting virtual tour. I have never been to Gdansk and would never have imagined it to have such quaint Dutch-looking houses!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Glad you enjoyed our walk in Gdansk and that you managed to take a lot of excellent photographs within such a short time. Your page is so good that I feel I needn't write one myself.:)

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Hey! That is no excuse!!!!
      You can write a lot more than I can!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Great cruise and a very interesting stop in Gdansk, Dee! While visiting Poland almost every year since 1995 unfortunately we never found a chance to see Gdansk (it situated off our usual way to Germany and back) though it attracts us very much. Dream to come there one day... Happy Easter, Dee, from Moscow!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I really think that you need to consider calling this excellent page 'Dee Does Danzig' :)
    Regards
    Cathy

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Gdansk