""DROP DEAD GORGEOUS DUTCH VILLAGE"" Broek in Waterland by balhannah
Broek in Waterland Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 23 photos
Off the Tourist track..........................
This is a delightfully small village of about 2500 people, located 10ks from Amsterdam. This village in years gone by, was very popular with Ship Owners, Captains & Rich Merchants because it had ( and still is) in a beautiful location.
These rich people built their fancy wooden houses here, evidently, they have beautiful interiors (didn't see) as well.
Many of the houses here, date pre 1850.
The owners seem proud of their homes and have beautiful gardens surrounding them. There are Canals, and a Lake with its own little Duck House. Weeping Willows compliment the scene. The Church was built in 1400, but was razed to the ground by the Spaniards in 1573. In 1628, the inhabitants started rebuilding it.
After shipping, Broek In Waterland became well known for its Dairy Cattle, stock breeding and Agriculture as a way to survive. It was a pity that the day I visited, it was raining. I wasn't going to let that stop me, on went the Raincoat, and up went the Umbrella and I walked the majority of this Village.
It was beautiful as it was, but if it had been a sunny day, it would have magnificent with the House reflections in the water.
I reached here on the Waterland ticket, which I bought on the Arriva Bus, cost 7euros for a day in Waterland, hopping on and off when ever I wanted.
I can't put any tips on, as there aren't any, its just a lovely Dutch Village.
See my Travelogue for photos on a wet day.
This is my favorite spot in Holland.
- Pros:Beauty at every corner
- In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful little villages I have ever seen.
balhannah's Related Pages
Broek in Waterland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""DROP DEAD GORGEOUS DUTCH VILLAGE""
- "Broek in Waterland, The Netherlands"
- "BROEK IN WATERLAND, HOLLAND"
- "Broek in Waterland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broek in Waterland
- 1 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (516)
Have you been to Broek in Waterland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broek in Waterland
Photos in Broek in WaterlandSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues