""DROP DEAD GORGEOUS DUTCH VILLAGE"" Broek in Waterland by balhannah

Broek in Waterland Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 23 photos

Off the Tourist track..........................

This is a delightfully small village of about 2500 people, located 10ks from Amsterdam. This village in years gone by, was very popular with Ship Owners, Captains & Rich Merchants because it had ( and still is) in a beautiful location.
These rich people built their fancy wooden houses here, evidently, they have beautiful interiors (didn't see) as well.

Many of the houses here, date pre 1850.
The owners seem proud of their homes and have beautiful gardens surrounding them. There are Canals, and a Lake with its own little Duck House. Weeping Willows compliment the scene. The Church was built in 1400, but was razed to the ground by the Spaniards in 1573. In 1628, the inhabitants started rebuilding it.

After shipping, Broek In Waterland became well known for its Dairy Cattle, stock breeding and Agriculture as a way to survive. It was a pity that the day I visited, it was raining. I wasn't going to let that stop me, on went the Raincoat, and up went the Umbrella and I walked the majority of this Village.
It was beautiful as it was, but if it had been a sunny day, it would have magnificent with the House reflections in the water.

I reached here on the Waterland ticket, which I bought on the Arriva Bus, cost 7euros for a day in Waterland, hopping on and off when ever I wanted.

I can't put any tips on, as there aren't any, its just a lovely Dutch Village.
See my Travelogue for photos on a wet day.

This is my favorite spot in Holland.

• Pros:Beauty at every corner
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful little villages I have ever seen.
  • Last visit to Broek in Waterland: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2013

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Brilliant little village & the bus tip. Thanks Dee

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 1:02 AM

The village looks just gorgeous in your beautiful pictures. Hope you can visit it again on a sunny day and go inside those cottages.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM

"Drop dead gorgeous" is an understatement judging by your pics. Would love to see more of it.

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Broek is lovely indeed. The grey greenish paint is a special made colour called "Broeker Grijs" ( broeker grey)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

nice! will have to look at my books and check whether Ive been here!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Oh wow Dee!! This place looks gorgeous!! I've added it to my 'must see' list for next year!! Thanks for the tip matey!! :o) xx

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Broek in Waterland

Have you been to Broek in Waterland?

Photos in Broek in Waterland