"HOME OF WORLD FAMOUS "ROYAL DELFTWARE"" Delft by balhannah

Delft Travel Guide: 505 reviews and 1,372 photos

I eventually made it...................

My visit to Delft, was on the day when "everything that could go wrong, did day!"

As such, when I arrived in Den Haag by Train and wanted to catch the No1 TRAM to Delft, I wasted about 2 hours. The Information centre sent me on a Wild Goose chase, then I asked quite a few people, none who knew.

Eventually, I ended up back at the Train Station and bought a ticket for the TRAIN to Delft instead of the Tram.

So, I ended up in Delft, feeling rather hassled, and not happy, that so much time had been wasted today not through my doing!

Delft, is the home of Royal Delftware which was established in 1653 and is the last remaining Delftware factory from the 17th Century.

The Delftware is entirely hand painted.
Delft also has historic ties with the Dutch Royal House.
The "New Church" has the Royal Crypts.
The Mausoleum of "William of Orange" (1533-1584) is on display here. He was considered the founding father of the Netherlands, and was the 1st to be buried in the Church.

I wandered around Delft, taking in the sights, browsing the shops, looking at the Royal Delftware.

It was here that I bought some small souvenirs to take home, and I must say, they were delighted with them.

Delft was a pretty town, once again, canals giving beauty.

I didn't leave until late, to make up for lost time, lucky it was still daylight until 9pm.

• In a nutshell:Pretty town!
  • Last visit to Delft: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2013

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Oh boy, next time you visit, we have to discuss Dutch public transportation up front. PJ

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jan 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Don't think I will be back. Never had so much trouble as in the Netherlands.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Lovely page! Walking Delft would be fun!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Couldn't work out why I didn't see the tourist boat when I was there, then I realised it wasn't running when I was there! Cheers, Ian

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Dee, I see it's a very nice town indeed... So many amazing historical places...

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Glad your visit to this historic and attractive town turned out well in the end. So long since I was there, circa 1979, so enjoyed a virtual reminder!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Delftware, old and new church, the tour all sounded good. I'm still smiling about your introduction about everything going wrong; yet, you seemed to make the best of it.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Thanks for the tour. Excellent canal photos. You saw much more than we did when we went on a bus tour. Sweet place. Still have some of the delft we bought there.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Delft