"Say CHEESE! say EDAM!" Top 5 Page for this destination Edam by balhannah

Edam Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 192 photos

MEMORIES..............................

My memories of eating Edam cheese date back to when I was a little Girl.

My Mother used to buy Edam cheese for special occassions, I remember it well in the Red Parrifin Wax coating. I liked it then, and still do!

EDAM OF OLD...............................

Edam is a small Town in the Province of North Holland. It dates back to the 12th century, when Farmers & Fishermen settled along the River Ye.

The small settlement gradually grew, at one stage it had 33 shipyards, and was known for building some famous ships.

IT'S TIME TO PAY EDAM A VISIT!

When I visited, I was lucky that the morning's rain had cleared. This gave me some good reflection photos. Edam is easy to walk around, the canals are lovely, as are the old buildings.

I think Edam is well worth a stop.

• Pros:Lovely spot to spend an afternoon
  • Cons:Couldn't find any
  • In a nutshell:More of interest than just cheese
  • Last visit to Edam: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2013

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Balhannah, fyi the busstation has moved to the "back"IJ side of CS. The travel ticket is good advice though. Lovely pics here.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM

for all my visits to the Netherlands Ive wanted to get to Edam&still not - glad to see yr pg&pics here thanks!-just another look&now thinking of Coons edam cheese in Qld -used to wonder why they called a brand Coon when it was a rude name for Aborigines!!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM

beautiful photos and a lovely town! we love Edam too, but can't find it here. (nor Swiss, and a lot of others)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Brilliant photographs! Loved the canals and tea houses. Very informative and descriptive...alluring.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM

The canals are beutiful. Think that is what I remember most about our visit to the Netherlands years ago. Thanks for the wonderful photos.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Edam