"A BEAUTIFUL GREEK ISLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Kos by balhannah

Kos Travel Guide: 329 reviews and 761 photos

I WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO ENJOY KOS.
I really liked what I saw and did on this Island.

If I knew there were so many interesting sights, I would have spent two full days here, and not just the one day by Ferry from Bodrum.

Kos is a Greek Island located in the beautiful Agean Sea. The Capital, is the town of Kos. It is the 3rd largest of the Dodecanese islands, after Rhodes and Karpathos, and its population is about 30,000 people.
During the Summer months, more than 1million people visit the Island. Our Tourist guide told us that the Island people depend nearly entirely on Tourism for their survival. Agriculture, farming and fishing are their other means of support. In the Winter months, most of the Resorts & Accommodation, also Tourist places close.

Kos town has a pretty harbour and lots of open spaces with Palm trees and pretty Bouganvilleas, which just happened to be in flower when I was there.

There are loads of outdoor Cafes and Restaurants in beautiful positions, just nice to laze away the day. Beaches as well!
There are plenty of shops, though some were closed when I was there, perhaps off season. Pretty little Churches dot the countryside. How I wish I had the time to explore more!

There are also Ancient sites to visit here.

The Ancient Agora in the Port Area......................
The Ancient Gymnasium, full of Roman streets, thermal baths & mosaics..............
The Odeon..................
The Asklepion, a Temple of Worship..................
The Plane Tree of Hippocrates......................
The Museum, and more sights as you wander around this delightful Town.

Oh! I nearly forgot, there is a Castle here as well, as well as other pretty villages to visit.

• Pros:Nice size Island
  • Cons:Nil
  • In a nutshell:Gorgeous little Island that I'm glad I visited
  • Last visit to Kos: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2013

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Very nice page Dee!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Thanks John. It was a lovely day and quite a surprising one. I don't know what I really expected, but certainly not the beauty I saw on this Island.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Wow, every place you go looks fantastic! Nice page!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Enjoyed your page Dee. Great photos and I bet you had a nice lunch, Greek food is one of my favourites.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Oops, Kos ?!! thanks for made a nice page, but if you come to Iran, never use the kos word. it's unmoral word.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Thanks for your interesting story, Dee! ><><><><

• csordila's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Amazing places, we are considering to visit here. Best. L.

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Stunning photos - every part of Greece (& Cyprus) I have been too I have fell in love with. I love everything about Greece and can't wait to go back!! Nice tips too!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2010 at 4:46 AM

So far I have only seen Kos from the Turkish mainland. My daughter spent 1 day in Kos, so she renew her Turkish Visa.

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Very nice photos and tips! An interesting page after only one day spent there!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Hello Dee, It was nice to visit Kos with you; we went there in the late 1970 and would not recognize the island!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Kos