"CAMBODIA - PHNOM PENH & SIEM REAP A nice surprise" Cambodia by balhannah

Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,805 reviews and 24,724 photos

PHNOM PENH

I arrived in Phnom Penh on a short flight from Ho Chi Minh City.

I took a Taxi from the Airport to my Hotel, the "Paragon" which was across the road from the river. Balconies were shared, and you had great views from here.

For me, watching the different vehicles go by loaded with heaps of people (how many more could they fit!) was eye boggling. I couldn't believe what I had seen, so many things to tell back home. So different to all the transport laws we have at home

I loved the Restaurants along the riverfront, nice meals at any one of these, reasonably priced, and nice to sit and people watch.

I found the people friendly, and nowhere near as pushy for you to buy as was the case in Vietnam........I could actually browse the stalls!
A cheeky street Barber, asked if I would like a haircut! He could speak good English, so I had a conversation and took his photo.

Little things like this make memories.

The Palace and its grounds was magnificent, gold everywhere.
Lots of big Embassies are here and also quite a few impressive Wats.

There is a big contrast between rich and poorer here.
On the other side of the river, people live all year in tents.
In the evenings people are walking and enjoying the riverfront, playing ball games, meeting others, and there are food vendors, these seem to do a roaring trade.

As well as this, there is the more chilling side, the trip to the Killling fields, the trip to Genocide museum, the poor people with limbs missing, their faces a mess through the war, the beggars.

These I will not forget.

SIEM REAP

A short expensive flight to reach here, definitely wouldn"t do it this way again.

On the way into the small town, you pass heaps of magnificent Hotels, the expensive type. My Hotel was in a side street, just a short walk from the Palace and more expensive Hotels.

There isn't much to see here, it seems to be the base for the Temples.

You can walk everywhere, or use a tuk-tuk, a $1 is the price for a lot of the rides. The markets were big and interesting. Food was dearer here, this is more touristy than Phnom Penh.

TEMPLES

The Temples exceeded my expectations, they were colossal, seeing them in the real is different to on television.

Going to the further afield ones was worth the extra, you passed through some nice villages, and saw the everyday lives of these people, also what the Cambodian countryside is like around here.

The one downside, was it was extremely hot at this time of the year, I was exhausted at the end of my 3 days walking around the Temples.

The plus side, there was not a huge amount of tourists, so got some good photos.

• Pros:Wonderful sights
  • Cons:Very, very hot in April
  • In a nutshell:More than Temples to see
  • Last visit to Cambodia: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2013

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I really enjoyed reading your Cambodia pages! It is high on my list to visit.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I wonder how the school of the air has changed in the Internet age. Still an excellent program

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Nice tip about the School of the Air. I wonder how those teachers grade a student's task that might have been made by someone else. Call it job related. I am a teacher too.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Seems the Scotts made it here to Broken Hill also De..from looks of the last picture of the murals...I remember the "air schools" from episodes of Skippy I think... :o]

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Cambodia

Have you been to Cambodia?