"NICE CHATEAU" Slavkov u Brna by balhannah
Slavkov u Brna Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 29 photos
A beautiful Chateau, a Garden and history!
Slavkov u Brna is historically known as Austerlitz.
I have written a few reviews on what I saw, but there is much more if you are interested in "War History" or seeing other Churches, Monument's, etc around the small town.
So, here is a little information that may interest you.....................
Slavkov U Brna is located east of Brno in the South Moravian Region of the Czech Republic, it is well known for the Battle of Austerlitz which actually took place several kilometres to the west of the town.
In the 13th century, the Teutonic Order built a monastery stronghold in the vaults of the Austerlitz Palace, you can do a tour if you wish.
The Czech name is Slavkov........ the German name is Austerlitz.
Some other sights are the Church of St. John the Baptist, located in the cemetery.
It is here where the tombs of the Kaunitz family lie [Chateau owner's]
The Chapel of St. Urbanus , was badly damaged during the battle of Austerlitz and was rebuilt during 1858-1861.
There is a Jewish synagogue  and also a Jewish cemetery a little bit outside the town.
Monuments and sights about the Battle of Austerlit
On 28 November, 1805 the French cavalry general Murat set up his headquarters here.
Another important visitor was Napoleon, who slept in this house and held preliminary negotiations about an armistice.
On Santon hill to east of Tvarozna village is a small white chapel, and it is here, where each year, historical re-enactment's take place.
On Zuran hill Napoleon Bonaparte had his headquarters, and now granite monuments depict the battlefield positions.
In Slapanice village, a number of mass graves with a monument can be seen.
Now days it is peaceful, and we can visit the Peace Memorial located on Prace hill. It is 26 m high and square, and has four female statues symbolizing France, Austria, Russia and Moravia. Within is a chapel with an ossuary. There is a small museum commemorating the battle.
Also, near some old Vineyards near Blazovice, there is a Monument to the Three Emperors
So, if you are interested in the history of this War, then this is the place to make a base and spend some time.
Our next stop is at BUCOVICE
- In a nutshell:Must see the Chateau and garden
As the town played an important part in Czech history, during the year they hold many re-enactment's and festivals. In... more travel advice
The Town Hall, built in 1592, is one of the oldest architectural buildings in Slavkov u Brna. To me, it didn't really... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Slavkov u Brna Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Slavkov u Brna
- 6 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Slavkov u Brna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slavkov u Brna
Photos in Slavkov u BrnaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 83 reviews, 268 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue