"ZNOJMO" Top 5 Page for this destination Znojmo by balhannah

Znojmo Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 221 photos

This city we were meant to drive straight past, instead, we stopped an had a look and found there was plenty to see and do!

They advertise it as a.............

"Town of 77 Wonders!"

Znojmo is a ROYAL CITY, founded in1226 by King Ottokar 1.

A Holy Roman Emperor [Sigismund], died here in 1437.

World History happened here.........

In 1809, the armistace was signed for the Battle of Wagram between Napoleon and the archduke Charles.

It is also notable for being the (alleged) birthplace of Leopold Loyka, the driver of Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand's car when Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo 1914, an event which triggered the First World War.

The city is situated on a rock outcropping on the steep left bank of the Thaya River with lots of historical and religious buildings.

To walk the old part of the City and to have a good look, you would need to take about 3 hours or more!

I will tell you about what I saw and did, and this only touches a small amount of Znojmo.
I would like to return one day to stay and to see the rest of this medieval old city.

THE next town we stop at is JAROMERICE NAD ROKYTNOU

• Last visit to Znojmo: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Another attractive town. A shame you missed market day, but you seem to have found lots of other things to interest you. I like the little St Wenceslas Chantry a lot!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Charming! I like this St John the Baptist church and monastery, so beautiful!

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Spent almost a week there - on ice hockey duty.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I can't believe that there are only 6 things to do in the twon of 77 wonders. *winkygrin*

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Some interesting tips and lovely pictures. We may do a day trip here in summer. Thanks for sharing. Irene

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Yes, this does look like a worthwhile place for a stopover. Good that you didn?t just drive straight past it.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Jan 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I've just looked it up on the map, and was surprised to see that this town is so close to Vienna and Bratislava.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jan 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yes, we only visited places closer to the Austrian border. If only we had lots of time and money to spend a lot more time in these places.

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Znojmo