"WONDERFUL MEDIEVAL SAALFELD!" Saalfeld by balhannah
Saalfeld Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 45 photos
Saalfeld, founded in the 7th century, is located in Thuringia and situated by the Saale River.
It is best known internationally as the former capital of the branch of the
House of Wettin [Windsor's] that is today's British royal family.
Saalfeld's link to the British Royal's is linked to Queen Victoria's mother,
who was the Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld,
while Queen Victoria's husband Albert was also born into the house of Saxe-
At about the same period, the royal family of Belgium was founded by
Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and the Princess Juliane of Saxe-
Coburg-Saalfeld married the crown prince of Russia.
But most famous of all, is the House of Windsor, as Franz Frederick was the
grandfather of both Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and her husband,
Albert, Prince Consort.
This bloodline continues unbroken from Queen Victoria through to Queen Elizabeth today.
MORE ABOUT SAALFELD....
Saalfeld is one of the oldest cities in Thuringia, and was in 899 known as "salauelda."
Saalfeld was a very important trading centre, and received privileges like the coin, the customs and the fishing rights of which still bear witness to two barbs in the city arms.
In the 16th century, there was an economic boom, as copper and silver was discovered and mined.
Also, the location at the crossroads of important trade routes such as the trade route from Nuremberg to Leipzig Saalfeld helped.
Even today, on three days of the week, market days are held.
ONE OF MY FAVORITE'S IN GERMANY
Saalfeld is traditionally said to be a town of gables, gates and towers as well as the entrance to the Thuringian Forest.
The Celts settled here long ago, and the town, formerly a Royal residence, was a favorite of mine!
There were numerous historic buildings which I loved seeing!
The town?s main attraction is the Saalfeld Fairy Grottoes. These former mines are today entered in the Guinness Book of Records as the ?most colourful show grottoes in the world? and are among the most popular sites in Thuringia.
You may want to come here at Christmas time, and watch the guys throwing full-size Christmas trees at the Winter Market contest!
After you have read these page's, if you would like to follow my trail around Germany, please click on next Town listed below
- In a nutshell:Lot's of wonderful building's contained in a small area!
When we arrive in a town, this is usually our first stop, especially if we haven't accommodation. The staff here were... more travel advice
This is another building that was originally built as an Inn in 1602, and then between 1660 and 1735 used as a city... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Saalfeld Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Saalfeld
- 18 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (594)
Have you been to Saalfeld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saalfeld
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues