"DINANT - SAX AND THE CITY" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinant by balhannah

Dinant Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 344 photos

Dinant, and it was because of VT, that I wanted to visit this Town.

Dinant is a lovely small town in the province of Namur, located 90 kms south of Brussel's, in a picturesque valley of the River Meuse.

Long and narrow, the Town is squeezed between the River Meuse and the high rocks that overlook it.

Coming into Town, I could see the citadel on the high rock overlooking the town and the river, and also the Collegiate Church of Our Lady.

Saxaphone's were on display everywhere.

Adolphe Sax, the most famous inhabitant and inventor of the saxophone herald's from Dinant.

Always plenty of musical action and a lot of cultural events are held here in his memory.

If you have finished reading this page, and wish to follow my journey through Belgium, please click on the Town name below
NAMUR

• In a nutshell:Interesting Town, I loved the Saxaphone's
  • Last visit to Dinant: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2013

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM

This city in my travel list!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

The great French author Victor Hugo traveled through Dinant in a horse-drawn stagecoach in 1840. He later wrote that Dinant was one of the two prettiest villages on the Meuse River (the other being Huy).

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Haven't been to Huy [will look it up] He was correct about Dinant!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 5:02 AM

What a lovely looking little French town and your pictures show just how lovely it is. Thanks Dee for sharing

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Like you I only know about Dinant through VT and I also noticed that it seems to be a very picturesque little town. It looks like you had fine weather during your visit. The saxophones add to the special atmosphere of this town.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 3, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Thanks Holger! I really enjoyed the Saxaphones, I hope they stay for good, but I am not sure if they will.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Dinant, Rochefort, Cellesn all these are very fine small towns not only to visit but also to live. We only regret that it rains so often especially this year.
    Very good info in your reviews. I ignored about the French troops and the Rocher Bayard.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Love the main photo and the castle :D

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I saw your intro photo and said WOW! Now I know I have to go back to see those saxophones on the bridge. Great page! A lot better than mine! (thanks for visiting) Next time you HAVE to go up the rock to see the citadel ;-)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Love those saxophones and I especially love the third picture on your Intro to Dinant page. Seems like a lovly place all round.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Dinant