"ALBERTA CANADA" Province of Alberta by balhannah
Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,846 reviews and 10,034 photos
After travelling around British Columbia, we passed into Alberta from Revelstoke to Banff.
At BANFF, we stayed at the excellent Odenthal's B&B for 3 nights.
Our 1st day was spent travelling the Bow Valley where we stopped nearly everywhere enroute, we walked, took photos, there was so much to see in a day, and all so beautiful.
Johnston Canyon was fabulous, Lake Louise, was a little wet, so we didn't see it at its best, but hey!.....the Gondola ride gave us some great views!
Moraine Lake was the same, wet weather, what a pity, pity we couldn't change the weather.
Our final stop on the way home was at Mt. Norquay, more fantastic views over Banff and surrounding mountains.
This was an excellent day!
Day 2, and off to Lake Minnewanka where we saw Big Horn sheep grazing and sleeping on the road. This was the 1st time we had seen them close up.
There were some pretty lakes here with good reflections of the surrounding Mountains.
We continued onto Canmore, a recommendation by our B&B hostess, and we were not disappointed.
At Calgary, we stopped at the site of the Olympics, and we saw our 1st ski jump, are they high!!!!
From Calgary, we headed through open prairies, to a very unusual landscape of Hoodoos near Drumheller.
Were we on the moon?
Dinosaurs roamed here years ago, so we went and had a look at the excellent and cheap Royal Tyrrell museum, this would have to be one of the best!
We saw some little old towns and lots and lots of oil wells. At our B&B at Munson, we learnt that Alberta was an extremely rich state to live in.
Heading to Waterton National Park, we passed Wind farms, a small "Star Wars town," we saw some huge dairies, these were so different to our neighbour's at home in Australia.
We stopped at Fort Macleod and had a look at the Fort, and learnt about the role of the "Mounties."
The Head-Smashed In buffalo jump is 18ks from here, a world heritage site and very well done. I found it most interesting.
We then continued to Pincher creek for a couple of nights at a Motel.
Pincher Creek was a cheaper base to stay and go to Waterton Lakes.
Waterton Lakes was stunning, hardly a tourist here, Deers roaming the streets, it was "drop, dead, gorgeous."
After seeing the Prince of Wales Hotel on so many travel shows, I eventually saw inside it!
On the road again, this time passing through Crows Nest Pass in heavy rain, so didn't see the views I had read about, but at least the Lundbreck waterfalls were good because of the rain, I can't have everything!
Here, we headed into British columbia for a little while then came out at Jasper.
Jasper, still raining, but did manage to see some incredible scenery.
I have never seen so much water (we live in the driest continent on earth) So many glaciers, so beautiful around here and quite a bit of wildlife too.
What we saw of Alberta was beautiful.
- Pros:Plains & Mountains & Lakes & Waterfalls & Glaciers & wildlife
- Cons:Weather can be bad and can change very quickly
- In a nutshell:Beautiful and interesting
After paying a visit to Fort Macleod, it was time to drive the18 kms on Highway 785 to the Head smashed in Buffalo... more travel advice
The clock tower at Calgary, is a landmark to mark the year 2000 and the new millennium. Evidently, it was... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Province of Alberta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alberta - between plains and mountains"
- "The Wonder of Alberta"
- "This Province Has it All"
- "ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE"
- "AWESOME ALBERTA"
- "Alberta: God's Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Alberta
- Hotels in Province of Alberta
- Transportation in Province of Alberta
- Nightlife in Province of Alberta
- Restaurants in Province of Alberta
- Shopping in Province of Alberta
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Alberta
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta
- 58 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Province of Alberta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Alberta
Photos in Province of AlbertaSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (229)
Top Province of Alberta hotels
- Edmonton Hotels
- 588 Reviews - 909 Photos
- Calgary Hotels
- 1050 Reviews - 1852 Photos
- Banff Hotels
- 469 Reviews - 954 Photos
- Canmore Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 151 Photos
- Okotoks Hotels
- 1 Review - 9 Photos
- Waterton Lakes National Park Hotels
- 195 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Red Deer Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Jasper Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 211 Photos
- Lethbridge Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Fort McMurray Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 139 Photos
- Provost Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Banff National Park Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1488 Photos
- Slave Lake Hotels
- 7 Hotels
- Stettler Hotels
- 1 Review - 10 Photos
- Drumheller Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 205 Photos