Althofen Things to Do Tips by balhannah
Althofen Things to Do: 6 reviews and 15 photos
The "Riederhaus" is painted with sgraffitofries showing the exploits of Hercules as well as ornamental and architectural elements. Check the Sgraffitofries from the year 1590, located on the side facing the Salzburg court.
Sgraffito is a form of wall painting, applied in on a dried-colored plaster surface, a second layer of plaster is added, and while still wet, a wall drawing is scratched into the plaster so a two-tone relief-like effect is created.
A rather cute Fountain I saw in Althofen was the Gnomes or Miners' well as it's known.
The fountain was built around 1880, with the support of actress Anna Grobecker.
It was originally in a niche of a retaining wall at the Salzburg court, but after the Second World War, the fountain was moved from its original site, and now sits in the square.
Address: Salzburg court, Althofen
This 12th century Tower has been preserved, but I'm sorry to say, there is no entry to the Tower as it's privately owned!
It is part of Althofen Castle and is the landmark on the southern edge of the Upper Market.
Schloss Althofen is another Schloss that towers above a Town.
This gothic, 14th century Schloss, was occupied by rebellious peasants and miners in the 16th century.
Over the years, the Schloss has been damaged and restored many times up to the 1700's, when the Schloss was used as a nursing office.
Sold in 1824 to Joseph Hopfner for 24,000 guilders, the Schloss was renovated again in the 19th century
St. Thomas Church
The parish church is consecrated to St. Thomas of Canterbury.
It's a very nice Gothic Church, inside and out. It has been renovated, and I read it has lost a lot of character, but to me, who hadn't seen it before, I thought it quite lovely inside.
The Church dates back to 1400.
Directions: Northern part of the Upper Market.
The Fronfeste lies on the northern edge of the Upper Market and is now used for residential purposes.
The building is rather quaint, made of unplastered stone-masonry.
There are excellent views of the town and countryside.
Address: Upper market square
balhannah's Related Pages
Althofen Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Althofen
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Althofen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Althofen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues