"AUSSEE, AUSSEE!! - AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!" Bad Aussee by balhannah
Bad Aussee Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 33 photos
Bad Aussee is a town in the Austrian state of Styria, in the Ausseerland region.
Bad Aussee is the geographical mid-point of Austria, this is symbolized by a stone monument in the centre of town
The town began to flourish in the Middle Ages, when salt works started operating in the late 13th century and it was designated a market town in 1295.
Like Music, then come to the music festival that runs for several weeks in the spring of each year, called the Ausseer Jazzfruhling.
The biggest yearly event in Bad Aussee occurs on Shrove Tuesday when the Flinserln dress up in sequined costumes and parade through town to announce the coming of spring.
Children recite old rhymes to the Flinserln and are rewarded with nuts or sweets.
The Flinserln are accompanied by the Zacharin, who keep spectators in line by waving pig bladders on the ends of sticks and occasionally rapping people on the head with them.
The celebration is rounded off by the Trommelweiber (Drum Women) who are a group of men dressed in women's nightgowns, going from inn to inn banging on drums, pots and pans, and enjoy the free food and beer.
According to the tale, the tradition of the Trommelweiber began in the last century as a way for men who frequented pubs to poke fun at their wives.
At that time, women were not allowed in Pubs, so often resorted to banging on pots and pans outside of the premises in order to get their husbands to come out, come home and dry up.
Bad Aussee's other major yearly event is the Narzissenfest (Narcissus Festival).
Every spring, on the last weekend in May, participants construct massive floral sculptures made from daffodil blossoms.
We are not going far now, just a short distance to the DACHSTEIN ICE CAVES.
- In a nutshell:A town I would have liked to spend more time in!
ON the listed website, is a town walk you can do. It gives a detailed description of all you will see. I would imagine,... more travel advice
The Traun river runs through Bad Aussee and is a delightful area to walk alongside. It seems to be a popular area, and I... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bad Aussee Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bad Aussee
- 10 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Bad Aussee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Aussee
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (229)
Latest Bad Aussee hotel reviews
- JUFA Bad Aussee
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013