"ICE!" Dachstein by balhannah

Dachstein Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 47 photos

ICE! ice! ICE!

Probably not everybodys cup of tea, but coming from a tropical climate it was a must see for us!

The Dachstein giant Ice cave lies high above the Trauntal valley.

The ice is formed by water which seeps from the Dachstein plateau down into the cave through small cracks and joins in the cliff.

When outside temperatures are above freezing, but the caves still contain very cold air, the penetrating water freezes and forms magnificent ice shapes in the Ice cave.

Even when the water which seeps into the cave is warm in Summer, leading to a slight melting of this ice, the overall balance is one of growth.

Winter-Spring growth exceeds the Summer-Autumn ice loss and thereby guarantees the survival of this natural showcase.

Did you enjoy your virtual tour of the Ice Cave?
We are now moving onto HALLSTATT, a town I believe is very pretty, will you come to?

• In a nutshell:Fantastic!
  • Last visit to Dachstein: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 28, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Fantastic caves and as you say, no need of nice weather to enjoy them. A shame about the views, but the weather in mountain areas is notoriously unpredictable isn't it?

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM

The weather wasn't that bad, still managed a photo! We don't have any luck with mountains in Austria! The ice cave is something incredible to remember. Thanks for the visit!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Mar 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I love cave visits and would definitely come here if in this regions - thanks for sharing it :-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Dee, interesting little page about the Dachstein. I am surprised it is covered by the VT database, as it is actually the name of the mountain/glacier and as far as I know not really a town. - I twice styed in Ramsau am Dachstein for cross country skiing on the Dachstein glacier.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Oh fantastic caves! I must visit these too! Well, weather in the Alps is always unpredictable, also in summer. But you had some nice views, I see, despite some fog.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I was happy with the photo's even with fog. We both enjoyed the Caves, something we hadn't experienced before. We were impressed and amazed! At least now, you will have the time to see lots of these places you find on VT.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Oh yes!! Actually I cannot get enough to watch documentaries about anything in the Alps :-) My wishlist is growing and growing....

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Love the Ice Cave! Too bad it is that crowded.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I guess as you have to do a tour, it would be crowed most of the time.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

The cave was an incredible experience for us. We didn't know what to expect and were blown away with what we saw. Well worth the climb and the money.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Somehow I had never heard of the Ice Cave. It looks fantastic!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Wow, an ice cave. How fantastic! Thanks for sharing this with us. Nice page Dee!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Wow, what amazing ice caves!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Dachstein

Have you been to Dachstein?

Latest Activity in Dachstein