"ICE!" Dachstein by balhannah
Dachstein Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 47 photos
ICE! ice! ICE!
Probably not everybodys cup of tea, but coming from a tropical climate it was a must see for us!
The Dachstein giant Ice cave lies high above the Trauntal valley.
The ice is formed by water which seeps from the Dachstein plateau down into the cave through small cracks and joins in the cliff.
When outside temperatures are above freezing, but the caves still contain very cold air, the penetrating water freezes and forms magnificent ice shapes in the Ice cave.
Even when the water which seeps into the cave is warm in Summer, leading to a slight melting of this ice, the overall balance is one of growth.
Winter-Spring growth exceeds the Summer-Autumn ice loss and thereby guarantees the survival of this natural showcase.
Did you enjoy your virtual tour of the Ice Cave?
We are now moving onto HALLSTATT, a town I believe is very pretty, will you come to?
- In a nutshell:Fantastic!
On our walk up to the Dachstein Ice Caves, I noticed there were many different kinds of wildflowers. I don't know their... more travel advice
The Ice Cave tour we were on had a lot of people, I don't know how many for sure. The problem with this... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Dachstein Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Dachstein
- Transportation in Dachstein
- Restaurants in Dachstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Dachstein
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dachstein
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Dachstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dachstein
Photos in DachsteinSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 88 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue