"GMUNDEN IS IN A LOVELY LOCATION!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gmunden by balhannah
Gmunden Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 113 photos
Gmunden was an important Celtic settlement in the 5th century, then in the 11th century, became a significant center of the salt trade.
With its excellent climate and the beauty of the Salzkammergut landscape, the aristocracy and wealthy citizens spent their summers in the town at lake Traunsee as early as the 19th century.
Emperor Franz Josef used to visit the Royal House of Hanover in Gmunden, where the nobility from all over Europe stayed, before he went to his summer residence in Bad Ischl.
In 1186, Gmunden became a fortified town surrounded by walls.
Gmunden supplied battleships to Austria during the 17th century and helped wounded soldiers in hospitals in World War I.
During World War II, an SS maternity home was located here, in accordance with Nazi racial theories.
After having a wonderful time here, we are moving on, passing through beautiful countryside until we reach KREMSMUNSTER.
There is a magnificent Abbey there.
- Pros:Plenty of historic buildings and things to do and see
- In a nutshell:Nice setting, good markets!
Pettenbach, and I didn't find a lot to see, but I did have a look at St. Benedikts Church. I was able to visit the... more travel advice
I came to the old part of town by walking along the Esplanade. After viewing the Rathaus, I just started wandering the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Gmunden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Gmunden Page"
- "GMUNDEN IS IN A LOVELY LOCATION!"
- "I really didn't want to go............"
- "Gmunden - Lake Traunsee - Schloss Orth"
- "Paradise on Earth"
- "An Austrian town with the Flair of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gmunden
- Hotels in Gmunden
- Transportation in Gmunden
- Restaurants in Gmunden
- Shopping in Gmunden
- Warnings and Dangers in Gmunden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gmunden
- 15 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (264)
Have you been to Gmunden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gmunden
Photos in GmundenSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 740 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 164 reviews, 317 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues