"WONDERFUL NATIONAL PARK" Hohe Tauern by balhannah
Hohe Tauern Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 154 photos
The Hohe Tauern National Park was established in 1981 and is therefore Austria's first National Park.
The National Park covers areas in Carinthia, Salzburg and Tyrol, and is really worth going to!
The best-known mountain pass road of the Hohe Tauern is the scenic Grossglockner High Alpine Road, built in 1935, includes a tunnel at an elevation of 2,505 metres.
At Hohe Tauern National Park, there are endangered animal and plant species which are now in a protected habitat of 1800 km² in area.
The National Park is actually the second largest in Europe.
We came here to see Austria’s highest peaks and biggest glaciers, meadows strewn with colorful alpine flowers, imposing crags and lots of waterfalls.
We did manage to see some of these, but the weather was against us, so we didn't see Austrias highest Mountain, the Grossglockner.
At its foot lies the longest glaciar in Austria, the Pasterze.
We drove the Grossglockner High-Alpine Road, and thoroughly enjoyed the beauty of this National Park.
Winter is a good time to see more plant and animal life, like the Ibex, bearded vultures, marmots and many more.
Cattle graze on the alpine meadows and the regular harvesting of mountain hay has created species-rich flora and fauna.
I am hoping my reviews might inspire you to come to this part of Austria, and to see and enjoy its natural beauty!
Now we are going to move on and see the wonderful Sigmund-Thun Klamm near
- Pros:"The Best!"
- Cons:Weather can be bad
- In a nutshell:Excellent National Park
We have been to the top, and now are on our way to Zell Am See on the other side of the Hohe Tauern N/Park. There is... more travel advice
This is a Mountain Road. We found the road to be in good condition and didn't have a problem driving... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Hohe Tauern Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WONDERFUL NATIONAL PARK"
- "Glocknerstrasse - The "Queen of the Alpine Roads""
- "The Austrian Alps"
- "The top of Austria"
- "dreams for July 2010.. climbing the Grossglockner"
- "Hohe Tauern - our collection of visits"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hohe Tauern
- Hotels in Hohe Tauern
- Transportation in Hohe Tauern
- Warnings and Dangers in Hohe Tauern
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hohe Tauern
- 31 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Hohe Tauern?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hohe Tauern
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: 2 nights lodging "
- updated a Hohe Tauern Travel Page "WONDERFUL NATIONAL PARK"
- Uploaded a Photo to "WONDERFUL NATIONAL PARK"
- Wrote a Review ROUTE 107 - SCENIC VIEWPOINTS & MOUNTAIN CAFES in Hohe Tauern Things to Do
- Commented on one of Alphons's Hohe Tauern travel pages
Photos in Hohe TauernSee All Photos (119)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues