"Trafalgar national parks tour" United States of America by balhannah
United States of America Travel Guide: 285,898 reviews and 660,307 photos
14 DAYS STARTING FROM LAS VEGAS
This tour was one that we wanted to do for a long time. It took in a lot of the main National Parks of the U.S.A.
So now, take a seat in the Virtual Tour Coach, and we will begin our journey, starting from the city of Las Vegas in Nevada.
As Las Vegas is very different to anything we have in Australia, we decided to stay a few extra days and take a look around. We had a great time!
We departed Las Vegas and made it to St. George for our morning tea stop.
Back in the Coach and onto the Spectacular ZION Park. It was a hot 44 degrees. Even though very hot, we thoroughly enjoyed this Park, where we were taken around in a shuttle bus.
Weeping Rock was very nice on such a hot day! The canyon walls rise up from the valley floor, awe inspiring.
Heading up a mountain, we passed through a narrow tunnel which was built in the 1920's. Vehicles are only allowed through one direction at a time. This is because vehicles are bigger these days.
Our final stop was BRYCE CANYON. Colourful sandstone spires, beautiful from where ever we looked. This was our favorite National Park. Wished we had more time here, as we would have liked to done the horse ride, and more exploring.
Salt Lake City for tonights stop. Would have rather had more time at Bryce Canyon than being taken through the Mormon buildings, after all, it was called a "National Parks Tour!'
Our 1st stop today was at Idaho Falls for lunch. Lot of Potatoes are grown around here.
We stopped at the top of the Teton pass for photos where there was a beautiful view of the valley.
Staying at JACKSON HOLE tonight.
Jackson Hole is like a wild west town, it still has boardwalk verandahs. I guess it is geared for tourist's these days, but we liked it , as it is different to Australia.
The Chapel of Transfiguration is just outside of town. It has beautiful views of the Teton Mountain Ranges from the altar window. What a nice place to be married, and we were told, a lot of people choose here to be married.
We passed by Jenny lake and Colter Bay on our way to Yellowstone park for the next 2nights.
YELLOWSTONE, and plenty of time for a wander around, got to see Old Faithful go off twice.
This was the 1st time we had seen Buffalo in the wild. We were lucky enough that they decided to walk infront of the Coach, so we had a really close-up view. They have colossal heads on them, certainly wouldn't want to get in the way of one.
A must visit, is Artist point where the Yellowtone canyon and waterfalls are, a most beautiful spot.
Left Yellowstone and came down the Absaroka Range which was very steep. At the bottom of the range, was Buffalo Bills Lodge. After the Lodge, we passed through the Shoshone mountains, these reminded me of Bryce Canyon, only interesting formations in a chocolate colour.
Coming into CODY, was the Buffalo Bill Dam, an engineering feat in its day. Cody which is located in a fertile valley, has a big museum on Buffalo Bill. We saw lots of coal trains at Billings where we stayed at The Sheraton Hotel.
We stopped at the Little Bighorn Battlefield national monument, the site of the infamous "Custers last stand"
Near the town of Deadwood, is Kevin Costner's "Tatanka". This tells you the story of the Bison and the Lacota Indians. A Lacota Indian told the interesting story to us. We stayed at RAPID CITY for 2nights.
A day in this area. Our 1st stop, was the very interesting Crazyhorse Monument that is being built. It is enormous, and I would say a "must see." Photos do not do this justice, it is so much bigger than Mt. Rushmore, which we went and saw after Crazyhorse.
And we move onto DENVER where we had some time exploring the city. Denver is a very busy city with imposing buildings.
A beautiful drive through the mountains to Vail, a lovely village in a scenic setting. Glenwood Canyon was fantastic, so pretty, and the dual carriageway we were driving on was amazing.
We follow the Colorado river into Utah, and visit the ARCHES PARK, another extriodnary park, would have liked more time here too. Our stay tonight was at MOAB.
Our next park is MESA VERDE which is situated on top of a plateau. Another must see,very interesting finding out about the past, and seeing the dwellings situated under the cliffs, you wonder what happened to them.
Leaving Mesa Verde we travelled to Kayenta where we stayed the night. t\
This is the town nearest MONUMENT VALLEY.
Monument Valley.....And when we visited here the next morning, we could remember western films of years ago that were shot here. The sand is so red, its Navajo indian land, and different to the other parks. Carrying on, we passed through the painted desert, lovely colours in the hills. Our last National Park on this tour was of course, the GRAND CANYON and it certainly lived up to expections. Staying at the Grand Canyon for 2nights.
Its huge, magnificent, what more can I say, everybody else has said it for me. The end of a great National Parks tour. We finished in Las Vegas.
This was a good tour of the National parks as we saw a lot over a large amount of distance.
As is often said, The Tour Director can either "make or break" your holiday, in this case, he did a very poor job, so much so, that everybody was writing a letter of complaint to Trafalgar travel..
The luck of the draw! The other Coach that travelled with us, had an excellent Tour Director!
Well, our Tour of the National Parks is nearly over. We are at our last stop before heading to Las Vegas. It is at... more travel advice
Grand Canyon Desert View Watchtower, I thought it was quite old, but that is not the case. It was built and opened in... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 76 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Travel Darwin Forum "Re: Darwin in six days"
- Commented on one of blueskyjohn's United States of America travel pages
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "Trafalgar national parks tour"
- Wrote a Review Stop 32 - ROUTE 66 @ SELIGMAN in United States of America Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stop 25 - ARCHES NATIONAL PARK"
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (148)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (257)
Top United States of America hotels
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17291 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2037 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 2092 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4181 Reviews - 7229 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1993 Reviews - 4750 Photos
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- 388 Reviews - 651 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4392 Reviews - 8845 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1274 Reviews - 2950 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9113 Reviews - 19382 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5885 Reviews - 12006 Photos