Bourton on the Water Things to Do Tips by balhannah
Bourton on the Water Things to Do: 43 reviews and 99 photos
Lunch time came, and a decision had to be made where to eat!
For people who bring their own lunch, there was plenty of nice lawn beside the Windrush River, and people were picnicing.
For us, we had to find somewhere to buy, really this wasn't hard as there was a great choice of Restaurant's and Cafes. Overlooking the river is where we found a lovely Restaurant, with red & white checkered curtain. We asked for a window seat as they were vacant, but for some reason, we weren't allowed . Never mind, to the rear we were seated.
Just a warning, in a very busy Village like this, the staff are run off their feet at lunch-time, so if you are in a rush, choose another village.
We enjoyed our meal and were able to use the Toilet's in the Restaurant.
Time for more walking!
Bourton on the Water
Like old style arched bridge's, I do!
Then you will like the picturesque centre of the Village, for here the River Windrush flow's through the Village.
There are many gorgeous pedestrian Bridge's, so I will start with the Bourton Bridge built in 1806 and widened in 1959.
An inscription on the downstream side reads "
The Fosseway has passed here since Roman times. Here is Buruhford of Salmonsbury. 8th century AD"
Next, is the oldest stone Bridge, Mill bridge, [also known as Broad Bridge], built in 1654 and crossing where one of the fords existed.
Then, downstream further, is High Bridge, built in 1756.
Downstream again, the last and most recently erected footbridge opposite the Old New Inn is Coronation Bridge, built in 1953 to replace a wooden bridge that had been on this site since the 18th century but had collapsed whilst being crossed by some unsuspecting day visitor!
Further downstream is a vehicle Bridge, built in 1911 by local benefactor who also built the Victoria Hall and local Cottage Hospital.
Alongside it is Payne Bridge, a foot crossing built in 1756.
So you can see, there are many Bridge's in this small Village!
balhannah's Related Pages
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Classic Cotswolds"
- "Beautiful Bourton"
- "Bourton...four villages in one."
- "A very pretty place......."
- "Bourton on the Water"
- "Bourton-on-the-Water and attractions."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourton on the Water
- Hotels in Bourton on the Water
- Transportation in Bourton on the Water
- Restaurants in Bourton on the Water
- Shopping in Bourton on the Water
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourton on the Water
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourton on the Water
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (512)
Have you been to Bourton on the Water?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourton on the Water
- Posted in Travel Edinburgh Forum "Re: What sights would you suggest..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Bourton on the Water travel pages
- updated a Bourton on the Water Travel Page "BOURTON ON THE WATER - THE COTSWALD'S"
- Uploaded a Photo to "BOURTON ON THE WATER - THE COTSWALD'S"
- Wrote a Review LUNCH TIME! in Bourton on the Water Things to Do
Photos in Bourton on the WaterSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues