"OUR FIRST TOWN IN ENGLAND WAS................." Top 5 Page for this destination Dover by balhannah

Dover Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 732 photos

The White Cliff's of Dover

I think everybody must have heard of these cliffs!

White, [well not pure] they were, and they stretched for miles along the English coastline.

I had read many reports that Dover didn't have much to offer, perhaps it hasn't for some people, but I really wished I had a little more time to explore!

A must visit is the information centre if you have only just arrived in England. It would have to be one of the best I have ever been to.

There was information and plenty of free brochure's on all over England and free for you to take! Plenty of staff on hand to help, souvenirs, and some maps, books, etc, that you have to pay for.

It was located quite close to the Maison Dieu.

The Dover website is excellent, and has lots of information on the town itself and the surrounding area.

If you wish to join me on my tour around some of England, please click on the next town link listed DEAL

• Pros:Quite a lot of history
  • Cons:Busy and hard to find a car park
  • In a nutshell:Worth more than a "drive through!"
  • Last visit to Dover: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

When we were in Dover I don't believe there were any tours of the castle. We just wandered around on our own. But this was over thirty years ago.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I can understand that. Now it would be a lot more touristy and into money making!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Thank you for this very interesting page! I've made quite a few trips to England but have not yet managed to get steered in that direction upon landing! Beautiful photos and great tips on the historic past of this special place in England.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Too often I've just driven straight through Dover, the next time I'll make sure to stop there. Thank you for the great pictures and the information.

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Good page on my home town. Would be good to meet for coffee next time you are in the area.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM

in all likelihood this will be my first city to visit to England. very nicely built tips Dee.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Dee.. I find that we often like the places that others think are boring. Dover was actually very interesting. Glad you liked it too. Tom

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Very nice tips on Dover! Sounds like a place I definitely should visit!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Thank you Dee for bringing back memory about the White Cliffs of Dover which I saw when crossed the English Channel on my way to GB in 2005... But it was in the late evening and I saw nothing in the city of Dover.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Dover