"BEAUTIFUL SHREWSBURY" Top 5 Page for this destination Shrewsbury by balhannah
Shrewsbury Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 216 photos
FULL OF DELIGHTFUL TUDOR BUILDING'S!
Shrewsbury is a county town of Shropshire, in the West Midlands region of England.
Lying on the River Severn, it is the headquarters of Shropshire Council.
Shrewsbury is a historic market town with the town centre having a largely unaltered medieval street plan. The town features over 660 historic listed building's. It also hosts one of the oldest and largest horticultural events in the country, Shrewsbury Flower Show, and is known for its floral displays.
The Town is only 9 miles from the Welsh border.
Shrewbury began as a Saxon town, first mentioned in the year 901.
Its place name ending 'bury' showed it was once a fortified settlement called a burgh. In the 10th century, Shrewsbury had a mint so it must have been a fairly important place. The Normans built a wooden fort at Shrewsbury, however in 1069, a rebellion occurred and the rebels laid siege to the fort.
Shrewsbury Abbey was founded in 1083 by Roger de Montgomery the first Earl of Shrewsbury and he also built a castle in Shrewsbury to replace the rough wooden fort.
In the Middle Ages Shrewsbury flourished and grew.
People came and industries sprang up, like leather making, skinners and tanners, shoemakers and glovers, Welsh wool and flax trade, drapers and tailors made Shrewsbury a prosperous town. The town of Shrewsbury thrived in the late 16th century and the 17th century. It was famous for its wool industry.
An still Shrewsbury continues to flourish, and now the tourist's come with their dollar's to see the wonderful medieval building's!
I LOVED SHREWSBURY!
Shrewsbury has so many Tudor building's and historical points of interest that I think it would be hard not to like.
My husband and I really liked exploring this town, and even though we saw heap's, I was very disappointed that I was so close to the quarry garden's, and I missed them!
Oh well! These things happen on holiday!
And now we are back in the car and going into Wale's and to
CHIRK you can continue the journey with me!
- In a nutshell:Wonderful Tudor town
The beautiful arched English Bridge was built in 1770, and is one of many Bridge's that cross the River Severn in... more travel advice
This Inn is also on the site of where the old Gullet Inn once stood in 1527. It was interesting to read, this narrow... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Shrewsbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Town in black and white and the best B&B ever"
- "lovely main shopping street"
- "BEAUTIFUL SHREWSBURY"
- "Shrewsbury - Town of Flowers"
- "Welcome to Shrewsbury."
- "A Shropshire Town"
- "Historic Shrewsbury"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shrewsbury
- Hotels in Shrewsbury
- Transportation in Shrewsbury
- Nightlife in Shrewsbury
- Restaurants in Shrewsbury
- Shopping in Shrewsbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shrewsbury
- 23 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Shrewsbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shrewsbury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue