"BEAUTIFUL SHREWSBURY" Top 5 Page for this destination Shrewsbury by balhannah

Shrewsbury Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 216 photos

FULL OF DELIGHTFUL TUDOR BUILDING'S!

Shrewsbury is a county town of Shropshire, in the West Midlands region of England.
Lying on the River Severn, it is the headquarters of Shropshire Council.
Shrewsbury is a historic market town with the town centre having a largely unaltered medieval street plan. The town features over 660 historic listed building's. It also hosts one of the oldest and largest horticultural events in the country, Shrewsbury Flower Show, and is known for its floral displays.

The Town is only 9 miles from the Welsh border.

Shrewbury began as a Saxon town, first mentioned in the year 901.
Its place name ending 'bury' showed it was once a fortified settlement called a burgh. In the 10th century, Shrewsbury had a mint so it must have been a fairly important place. The Normans built a wooden fort at Shrewsbury, however in 1069, a rebellion occurred and the rebels laid siege to the fort.
Shrewsbury Abbey was founded in 1083 by Roger de Montgomery the first Earl of Shrewsbury and he also built a castle in Shrewsbury to replace the rough wooden fort.
In the Middle Ages Shrewsbury flourished and grew.
People came and industries sprang up, like leather making, skinners and tanners, shoemakers and glovers, Welsh wool and flax trade, drapers and tailors made Shrewsbury a prosperous town. The town of Shrewsbury thrived in the late 16th century and the 17th century. It was famous for its wool industry.
An still Shrewsbury continues to flourish, and now the tourist's come with their dollar's to see the wonderful medieval building's!

I LOVED SHREWSBURY!

Shrewsbury has so many Tudor building's and historical points of interest that I think it would be hard not to like.
My husband and I really liked exploring this town, and even though we saw heap's, I was very disappointed that I was so close to the quarry garden's, and I missed them!

Oh well! These things happen on holiday!

And now we are back in the car and going into Wale's and to
CHIRK you can continue the journey with me!

• In a nutshell:Wonderful Tudor town
  • Last visit to Shrewsbury: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I like the Quantum Leap and the Darwin Gate! I don't know this town, but I know other parts of the River Severn, as I used to take groups to Ironbridge Gorge and the Severn Valley Railway.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jan 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM

We went to Ironbridge Gorge! Thanks for touring this town.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2012 at 7:41 AM

What a lovely page, Dee, I have fond memories of Shrewsbury as my Great-Aunt, Regína, whose name I got, lived there. She married an English soldier, who came to Iceland during the war. What a beautiful town, eh?

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Shrewsbury

Have you been to Shrewsbury?

Latest Activity in Shrewsbury