"SISSINGHURST & THE CASTLE" Sissinghurst by balhannah
Sissinghurst Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 101 photos
Would you believe, Sissinghurst originally was a Saxon Pig Farm?
Probably why the garden plants grow so good!
Well, within a few years, a small Manor House was built with a moat surrounding it.
The family were the "Saxingherstes."
Nothing of this building stands today.
Late 16th century, the Baker family came, and built the Tower and the Renaissance courtyard house, which has an amazing 38 fireplaces!
Sissinghurst was leased to the Government during the 7 years War between 1756 & 1763. This was then used as a Prison camp for over 1000 captured French Soldier's.
They didn't care for the property, and the house was nearly destroyed.
1796, and the Parish of Cranbrook took over the lease, and created a "Poor House" where up to 100men were offered housing, employment and food.
1800's, and the Mann Cornwallis family take over, and lucky for us, repair a lot of the buildings.
1932, and Vita Sackville-West and her husband move into the old courtyard house. At this period of time, Sissinghurst Castle farm, produced Beef, pork, Wheat, Egg's and Hop's.
The garden progessed into a beautiful one, and in 1937, was open to the public.
Visitor's would pay one shilling in an old Tobacco tin, to see the couple working in their garden.
What can I say about it...........
It is worth coming to see the Sissinghurst Castle & gardens, whether you like gardening, Flower's or not!
There is more than one Castle and pretty little English Village's to see in the area, so do come, it's a lovely part of England!
If you wish to join me on my tour around some of England, please click on the next town link listed below
- Cons:Can be extremely busy!
- In a nutshell:Beautiful Castle's and Garden's close by
Just my opinion, I think if you come to Scotney Castle, you really should see the gardens. The gardens are big, and... more travel advice
I thought it was really worthwhile having a look inside the Manor. Plenty of antique furniture, old photo's, paintings,... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Sissinghurst Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SISSINGHURST & THE CASTLE"
- "Romantic English Garden"
- "Castle Garden"
- "Stunning Sissinghurst"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sissinghurst
- Hotels in Sissinghurst
- Restaurants in Sissinghurst
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sissinghurst
- 10 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (636)
Have you been to Sissinghurst?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sissinghurst
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: Great Barrier Reef"
- updated a Sissinghurst Travel Page "SISSINGHURST & THE CASTLE"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Sissinghurst tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "SISSINGHURST & THE CASTLE"
- Wrote a Review SCOTNEY CASTLE - THE GARDENS in Sissinghurst Things to Do
Photos in SissinghurstSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 271 reviews, 792 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 265 reviews, 617 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues