"WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL - REMEMBER THE SONG?" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by balhannah

Winchester Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 381 photos

WINCHESTER

ENGLAND'S ANCIENT CAPITAL

Former seat of King Alfred the Great

One hour from London

Spend a day!

I don't know if we were lucky or what, but we managed a car park straight away in Broadway, which was as close as you can get to the sight's.

Great!

So.... Would you care to join me for a walk to see some of the sights of Winchester?

Did you enjoy the walk?

I hope so, but do allow more time than I had, because there is enough to see in Winchester to fill one full day.
I enjoyed everything I saw in Winchester, and really wished I could have seen some of the other historic buildings in this ancient City.

If you wish to join me on my tour around some of England, please click on the next town link listed below
BATH

• In a nutshell:Ancient city, with a most wonderful Cathedral
  • Last visit to Winchester: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 21, 2013

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

A lovely cathedral and excellent pictures. I had never seen a picture of it before, although I had heard about it. Thanks!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

After reading your Winchester tips I've made a mental note to go there sometime. We've been to a number of places nearby (when our daughter was going to school on the Isle of Wight) but somehow never stopped in Winchester -- or Stonehenge, for that matter.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM

We were in Winchester 3 weeks ago attending a civil partnership. We will be back for another visit in a couple of months when we have more time.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Hi Dee,
    a very good page about Winchester - I will go there in March, following Jane Austen's footsteps... It is sad that you can't visit the house, but on the other hand she did not spent that much time there and I'll also visit her house in Chawton :-)
    Your pictures are so beautiful!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Thank you, Dee, for giving me some more ideas of where to go in England. I've never been in Winchester and it's so close to London.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Winchester

Have you been to Winchester?

Latest Activity in Winchester