"HANSEATIC TOWN OF VISBY" Top 5 Page for this destination Visby by balhannah

Visby Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 374 photos

A WORLD HERITAGE CITY

Visby, on the island of Gotland, was the main centre of the Hanseatic League in the Baltic from the 12th to the 14th century.

With the well preserved 13th-century ramparts and more than 200 warehouses and wealthy merchants' dwellings, it's the best-preserved fortified commercial city in northern Europe.

ARRIVAL BY CRUISE SHIP

Visby is located in Sweden and is situated on the west coast of Gotland Island.

During the Swedish summer Mid June - Mid August Visby is crowded, although the day we were there in July, it was quite empty.

We arrived here a 9am, July 29th, 2011.

The view, what view, as the Island was covered in thick fog!

Well, we weren't going to stay on the Ship, so we caught the Ship's Tender, and braved the elements in Visby for the day.

It was braving the elements, as when the fog lifted, then light rain set in, making it quite a miserable day for walking around!

OUR 5th PORT OF CALL

VISBY............

As a virtual friend, please join me for a walk around the old part of this town.

***************************************************************

Time to sail away and head back to Stockholm where we will leave the ship.

This cruise took us to lots of wonderful cities.

If I had my time again, I would choose a cruise with 2 days in St. Petersburg.

I hope you enjoyed virtual cruising and will join me again in Copenhagen, where we depart on a Norwegian Cruise!

• Cons:Not a real lot to see
  • In a nutshell:Quite a pretty old Town
  • Last visit to Visby: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2012

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 3:18 PM

an interesting page bringing back great memories ! Visby was the very first port that I came to when I was working on a large cruiseship lots of years ago !

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Too bad you didn't have nice weather when you visited Visby. I have been to Gotland and Visby twice but only when I was 7 and 13 years old. Guess it is time to go back soon.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Nice page! We also visited Visby by ship in 2005 and happily we had very nice weather. I found it interesting and was glad we stopped, although we didn't have very much time there.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Visby