"CORTINA d'AMPEZZO & SURROUNDS" Top 5 Page for this destination Cortina d'Ampezzo by balhannah

Cortina d'Ampezzo Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 231 photos

The "Pearl of the Dolomites"

Cortina d’Ampezzo is well known major resort in the Alps, and because of this, plenty of Tourists come here.

I can understand why people want to come, as the Town is located in the pretty Boite valley, surrounded on all sides by majestic Dolomite peaks.

It was in the latter part of the 19th century that tourists finally arrived, and they have been coming back ever since!

Their intention was to climb the Dolomites’ summits, at that stage still virtually untouched by man. Now, there are walking tracks everywhere, and most of us can conquer them one way or another.

It wasn’t until well after World War II that Cortina really took off, the Winter Olympics of 1956 helped put in on the map.

Did you know that much of 1963 classic "The Pink Panther," was filmed in Cortina.

James Bond stunt sequences in 1981's "For Your Eyes Only," gunners on spike-wheeled motorcycles chasing Roger Moore on skis, was filmed on its slopes, as were several scenes in the film "Cliffhanger."

We are now moving onto TARVISIO

• In a nutshell:Beautiful scenery and plenty of good hikes
  • Last visit to Cortina d'Ampezzo: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2013

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Your pages here have put the Dolomites high on my list of places to visit.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would never tire of these spectacular views!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

We didn't either! Very different to Australia, we both loved the scenery around here.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

What a beautiful valley! I would like to go hiking in the Dolomites one day.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Aug 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Thanks Malena! You would love hiking in the Dolomites. I wish I could have spent longer there.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

The Falzarego Pass and Mountain Church are impressive. As always, a wonderful page!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Oh and even more mountain views.... I miss them!! Love the little chapel and the parish church! And something rings a bell when I see that horseman statue. But I also don't remember what... maybe one day I'll remember

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You went to some really great places on your European tour!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Cortina d'Ampezzo

Have you been to Cortina d'Ampezzo?