"THE HOME OF WOODEN RELIGIOUS ORNAMENT'S" Top 5 Page for this destination Ortisei by balhannah
Ortisei Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 122 photos
The village of Ortisei, in German "St. Ulrich," is located in the heart of the Val gardena valley.
Ortisei is located 1,237 metre's above sea level, is the place of work for a considerable number of wood carvers, and you see the art everywhere around the town.
THIS AREA IS OLD!
Human settlements date back to 6000 B.C., confirming Hunter's used to live here in the Summer.
In 400B.C. a site of a permanent settlement was found.
The name Val Gardena is mentioned for the first time in 999 A.D.
As it was a very difficult area to enter because of the the difficult terrain, it wasn't until 1856, the Val Gardena road was opened and a new era began for the whole area. In 1915, a railway was built in just 4.5 month's, so supplies could reach the Austrian troops on the Dolomite front.
What I didn't realize, is here in this valley, is the heart of a culture named "Ladin."
Ladin belongs to the Romance language family and was probably already spoken in Val Gardena during the first century A.D. The local variety is similar to Romansh, the language spoken in Grisons, the Swiss canton.
Ladin is the first language of most Val Gardena inhabitants, and so as not to lose this language, it's also taught as a compulsory subject in schools.
Most of the population in this area are "Ladin" and they still keep the culture alive today!
The wood carving's were a highlight for me, but then I saw the Dolomite's and these were another highlight!
After reading this page, if you wish to follow my journey through Italy, please click on the Town link below
- Pros:Great village for a walk around
- Cons:No free parking
- In a nutshell:Great wood carving's to be viewed and bought!
Travelling along the Gardena Pass we came across some beautiful mountain views of the "Sassolungo." The mountain massif... more travel advice
The Tourist Office is at 1 Rezia street, which is a long, main street of the Town. It is best to go here first, a for... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Ortisei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE HOME OF WOODEN RELIGIOUS ORNAMENT'S"
- "Ortisei - Gateway to hiking in the Dolomites"
- "Ortisei in the beautiful Dolomites"
- "Val Gardena - ideal skiing holidays.."
- "ORTISEI / ST.ULRICH"
- "Ortisei - largest village of Val Gardena"
- "Eszter's Ortisei Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ortisei
- Hotels in Ortisei
- Transportation in Ortisei
- Nightlife in Ortisei
- Restaurants in Ortisei
- Warnings and Dangers in Ortisei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ortisei
- 11 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (525)
Have you been to Ortisei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ortisei
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Top 5/10 Mythical places "
- Commented on one of balhannah's Ortisei travel pages
- updated a Ortisei Travel Page "THE HOME OF WOODEN RELIGIOUS ORNAMENT'S"
- Uploaded a Photo to "GARDENA PASS & SASSOLUNGO MOUNTAINS"
- Wrote a Review GARDENA PASS & SASSOLUNGO MOUNTAINS in Ortisei Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues