"COFFIN BAY" Coffin Bay by balhannah
Coffin Bay Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 34 photos
1st VT page on Coffin Bay
Coffin Bay is a small town with a National Park named after it. It's located only 46kms from Port Lincoln, so is an easy day trip to do.
Less than 1000 people live here, so its a rather quiet, sleepy little town most of the time, that is until holiday time when the population may reach 2000 people. I could see it would be great for relaxtion, boating, fishing, waterskiing and exploring the National Park
Oyster farming is done in the calm waters of Coffin Bay
The "Parnkalla" Aboriginal people occupied the area before the white settlers arrived in the 1830s.
I have often wondered how it was named "Coffin" bay, and I never would have guessed correctly.
It was English explorer Matthew Flinders who named the bay on 16 February 1802 in honour of his friend Sir Isaac Coffin, who was Resident Naval Commissioner at Sheerness, where his Ship "the Investigator" was fitted out.
- In a nutshell:Good National Park and nice little town
This historic Cottage we came across as we travelled the Lincoln Highway from Elliston to Coffin Bay. Painted white, it... more travel advice
Located next to Golden Island lookout and Point Avoid, are a couple of very nice beaches. Almonta is the closest, but... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Coffin Bay Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Coffin Bay
- 8 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (593)
Have you been to Coffin Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coffin Bay
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where in Australia are we..."
- updated a Coffin Bay Travel Page "COFFIN BAY"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Coffin Bay tips
- Wrote a Review LAKE HAMILTON HISTORIC EATING HOUSE in Coffin Bay Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "LAKE HAMILTON HISTORIC EATING HOUSE"
Photos in Coffin BaySee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues