""A MUST SEE NEAR AMSTERDAM"" Top 5 Page for this destination Zaanse Schans by balhannah

Zaanse Schans Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 640 photos

ZAANSE SCHANS

This is a delightful "Open Air Museum" which is located on the banks of the

Zaan River, a mere 9 miles from Amsterdam. It is fully inhabited.

Here you can visit Old, Historic working Dutch Windmills and see Historic

Homes like they were in the 17th & 18th centuries.

It is very pretty, every House spick & span, a credit to the people living there.

There are Arts & Crafts, Souvenir Shops, Outdoor Cafe and a River cruise if you wish.

The De Zaan area was probably the World's 1st Industrial site. 250 Years

ago, there were approximately 800 working Windmills in the area.

The Village is FREE ADMISSION, and then there are small charges to visit

Museums and the Windmills.

It is open from 9 - 5pm daily.

Easy to get to by Bus & Train.

This was one of my best experiences in Holland.

• Pros:Lovely spot to spend an afternoon
  • Cons:Nil
  • In a nutshell:A gorgeous piece of Dutch history
  • Last visit to Zaanse Schans: May 2009
  • Intro Written Jul 1, 2009

• alza's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

What a neat page! I love the Netherlands & was there often but never heard of Zaanse Schans. Really hope to visit one day. (never saw such beautiful clogs!) :) Thanks!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Thank you for your visit to my Vienna page. It's difficult not to write good things on a cultural city like Wien.
    I was interested by your page on Zaanse Schans. If I remember well I made a stop there years ago returning from a business trip. I wondered how people could live in such a wet environment. Impossible to build a house with a cellar over there I suppose!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Great that there is a Windmill Society to keep all those windmills in good working order. And it's good that somebody also keeps all those clocks running after all this time.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM

If there's an interesting or picturesque place to see, you'll always find it. I would love to go to that cheese shop and to the clock museaum, I think. Love the stork story as well.

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Been here a few times and it is always nice. Especially when not so crowded like in winter.

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Only a 2 hour drive from where I live, and yet never been there, even never heard of this place. Thanks for your tip, Dee. It's now on my day trip's wish list.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Dee, lovely little page with brilliant photos. I have neither been to Amsterdam nor to Zaanse Schans although they are only about 350 km from where I live.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Hi, Excellent page Dee, yes I reckon too that this is one of the best places Ive visited in the Netherlands - along with Keukenhof of course!tried to get in a repeat visit last time but...will have to next summer I think!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Those windmills look fantastic. I have been to Europe a few times but I have never been to the Netherlands. One day maybe. Thanks for sharing.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 4:52 AM

Fabulous!! I just love those cute buildings Dee!! :o) Devouring all your great info!! :o) Excellant page!! xx

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Zaanse Schans

Have you been to Zaanse Schans?

Latest Activity in Zaanse Schans