""A MUST SEE NEAR AMSTERDAM"" Top 5 Page for this destination Zaanse Schans by balhannah
Zaanse Schans Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 716 photos
This is a delightful "Open Air Museum" which is located on the banks of the
Zaan River, a mere 9 miles from Amsterdam. It is fully inhabited.
Here you can visit Old, Historic working Dutch Windmills and see Historic
Homes like they were in the 17th & 18th centuries.
It is very pretty, every House spick & span, a credit to the people living there.
There are Arts & Crafts, Souvenir Shops, Outdoor Cafe and a River cruise if you wish.
The De Zaan area was probably the World's 1st Industrial site. 250 Years
ago, there were approximately 800 working Windmills in the area.
The Village is FREE ADMISSION, and then there are small charges to visit
Museums and the Windmills.
It is open from 9 - 5pm daily.
Easy to get to by Bus & Train.
This was one of my best experiences in Holland.
- Pros:Lovely spot to spend an afternoon
- In a nutshell:A gorgeous piece of Dutch history
In Zaanse Schans, if you want to, you can go for a 50minute cruise on the River Zaan. There are lovely homes, the... more travel advice
If you want to enjoy the surroundings and a have an expensive meal, then there is a place here for you. Its a French... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Zaanse Schans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zaanse Schans"
- "Scenic Windmills & more"
- "It doesn't get any more dutch than this"
- ""A MUST SEE NEAR AMSTERDAM""
- "What a place for a VT meeting !!"
- "ZAANSE SCHANS"
- "Open air museum the Zaanse Schans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zaanse Schans
- Transportation in Zaanse Schans
- Restaurants in Zaanse Schans
- Shopping in Zaanse Schans
- Warnings and Dangers in Zaanse Schans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zaanse Schans
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (515)
Have you been to Zaanse Schans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zaanse Schans
Photos in Zaanse SchansSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues