"Architecture & Historical" Top 5 Page for this destination Oamaru by balhannah
Oamaru Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 98 photos
The town has the largest collection of protected Heritage buildings in New Zealand.
They were designed by the best Architects of the time, and built out of the
local limestone, known world wide at the "Oamaru Stone"
A new generation of enthusiasts have preserved and refurbished them in Vistorian style.
The Harbour has an old carved wooden wharf, and an assortment of Crafts people.
Also, hundreds of Blue Penquins waddle ashore every night, just after
dark. The Oamaru Blue Penquin colony is a natural nesting area for the
world's smallest Penquin.
Another Penquin colony is a 30min walk away at Bushy beach, the
Penquins here are the rare Yellow-eyed Penquins. It nests and breeds
The Moeraki Boulders are nearby and also Lake Benmore.
As you can see by my photos, we were there on a wet and dismal day.
We walked and drove around, liked the town, would like to see it on a sunnier day.
In November, it hosts a week long HERITAGE FESTIVAL, something to
remember for future visits. Penny Farthing races might be quite a spectacle to watch!
The website gives details of some of the restored buildings............
Also included on this page is information on the town of Waimate & Moeraki Boulders
- Pros:Nice Historical town, plenty to see
- Cons:Bad weather
- In a nutshell:Lots of beautiful buildings
After walking and viewing the Moeraki Boulders, we headed on towards Dunedin, stopping off at Shag Point, which is only... more travel advice
St Augustine's Church  we came across on our tour around the town of Waimate. What a lovely church it was! It... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Oamaru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Architecture & Historical"
- "Oamaru, Penguin Country..."
- "Penquins and Stone"
- "Oamaru and It's White Stone."
- "Amazing Oamaru"
- "Please be patient with this Page..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oamaru
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (511)
Have you been to Oamaru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oamaru
Photos in OamaruSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues