"Central Otago" Alexandra by balhannah
Alexandra Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 35 photos
After visiting nearby St. Bathans, our road journey took us to Alexandra
which is located in the heart of Central otago.
What we noticed was the change in the landscape.
The hills were much drier and rocks were everywhere. It has a dry climate
and is classified as semi-desert. The hot summers and crisp cool winters
are related to the ring of mountains and high plateau country acting as a
barrier against coastal moisture-laden winds. These winds shed their
water on the peaks before reaching inland, resulting in Central Otago's
distinction as being one of the driest areas in New Zealand, hence its
official classification as semi-desert.
The dry climate has enabled relics of goldmining activities and stone
buildings to survive into the present day in remarkably good condition.
January and February are the warmest months with temperatures
reaching into the 30's and July has the lowest average.
Although the winter season is very bracing, dry conditions generally prevail
and clear sunny skies compensate for the low temperatures.
Today, its Orchards (stone fruits) and Sheep farming is what keeps the area alive.
In September each year, the Alexandra Blossom Festival is held.
Businesses originally sprang up to serve the mining community. The first
orchards were off-shoots of the market gardens which provided the miners
with fresh fruit and vegetables.
At about the turn of the century, the advantage of a dry climate, fertile
soil, and irrigation water from the mining races were recognised.
Orcharding expanded rapidly when the railway reached the town in 1906.
Nice pleasant parks, spectacular spring blossom, gardens, unique
scenery, and proximity to the Lakes and skifields of the Southern Alps
make it a pretty Town and area.
Alexandra is 190 km from Dunedin, 93 km from Queenstown,
88 km from Wanaka and 30 km south-east of Cromwell.
Alexandra is situated at the junction of State Highway 8 and provincial Highway 85.
- In a nutshell:A change to the rest of New Zealand
Lawrence was another very small town we passed through on Highway 8 heading to Dunedin. It was Otago's first gold-rush... more travel advice
Shaky Bridge, What a name to give a bridge, we wondered why as we walked across it. Looking down into the river from the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Alexandra Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Alexandra
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (511)
Have you been to Alexandra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alexandra
Photos in AlexandraSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues