"BEAUTIFUL & BUSY ANNECY!" Top 5 Page for this destination Annecy by balhannah

Annecy Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 665 photos

If your are travelling to the French Alp's, then a city name you probably would have heard, would be Annecy.

Situated at the edge of a turquoise lake of the same name, Annecy is one of the most beautiful and popular resort towns of the French Alps.

At the base of the Chateau, is rue Sainte-Claire, the main street of the old town, with arcaded shops and houses.

The most picturesque part of Annecy, is the warren of lanes, passages and arcaded houses, below the Chateau and where the Canal du Thiou, passes through the Town from the lake into the River Fier.

The houses, surrounded by canal-side railings overflowing with geraniums and petunias, are lovely!

We drove part way around the Lake and enjoyed it, if you do the full circle, it is 40km's.

Another way and less stressful, is to do a Boat tour on the Lake.
Frequent boats that depart from Annecy's canal-side port, with the possibility of stopovers or returning later in the day are offered by Compagnie de Navigation on place aux Bois, beside Quai Bayreuth.

If you have finished reading this page, and would like to join me on the rest of my journey through France, please click on the Town name below.

EVIAN-LES-BAINS

• In a nutshell:City in a very pretty setting!
  • Last visit to Annecy: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2012

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Annecy is one of these places where I would like to stay somewhat longer because of the combination of water and mountains.
    We visited begin 2000 and did the lake cruise but I never found time to write something.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I agree totally. If we lived in Europe, it would be a lovely town and area to take a weeks holiday.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The gorge looks amazing :)

May 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM

The gorges are wonderful over here. I love the way the boardwalks are built on the edge, gives you an incredible feeling when you are high above the rushing, noisy water.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If time permits, we still have a trip planned to Tours area, but I note you found some real wonderful areas on your 2 weeks driving. Nice tips, as always.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Thanks Bruce. Hope you make it to Annecy, its a gorgeous town!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM

We had a lovely holiday here years ago - I really liked the town and lake :-) Your photos brought back some great memories. I love the little Palais de l'Ile especially, and I had totally forgotten the Gorges du Fier! But the town seems to have got a lot more crowded since we were there, which is a shame.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Thanks Sarah! Yes, Annecy is gorgeous, and I think it gets a lot busier further into Summer.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This is another area where we used to go camping with our children when they were small. (Many years ago.)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

That Palais de l'Ile looks almost like a ship in this river! Amazing! Cute little cats!! Gorges du Fier is something I really want to see now! It looks amazing! Funny that we haven't been there when we were in Annecy a felt 50 years ago.... And more cakes.... I should.... stop, otherwise I gain weight only from reading, haha.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My husband swam in a competitive swim across that lake :-) It's a lovely little town, I hadn't heard of it before he decided to swim it!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Annecy