"BAILLEUL- FULL OF SAD MEMORIE'S!" Bailleul by balhannah
Bailleul Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 11 photos
Was briefly occupied by the Germans in October 1914, then the British Army, then in 1918, the Germans once again took the town as they advanced westwards.
For more than three months, until its liberation on 31 July, Bailleul was shelled almost everyday by the British and, later, the French.
More than 100,000 shells landed on the town, destroying 98% of its buildings.
Among the most prominent architectural features to be destroyed was the bell tower, built in 1686, which was crowned with a statue of the town's legendary protectoress, the Mélusine the Fairy.
Today, the Mélusine the Fairy still guards over the town.
If you would like to continue with me to my final City in France, please click on the town name below
- In a nutshell:Good to have a look around
Probably the main interest of the Town Hall is climbing the 200 step's to the top of the 62 metre high Belfry. Declared... more travel advice
The Church of St. Vaast was another building that was rebuilt after the War. Destroyed in 1918, it was rebuilt in 1932... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bailleul Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bailleul
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Bailleul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bailleul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues