"CALAIS - MORE THAN I EXPECTED!" Top 5 Page for this destination Calais by balhannah
Calais Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 238 photos
PLENTY OF HISTORY LESSON'S HERE!
Calais is one of only 5 cities of France to be allowed to have its own flag by royal decree, with Dunkirk, Boulogne, Le Havre and Saint Malo.
Calais, had much more to offer than I ever expected.
As a busy Ferry port, I thought it would be industrial, but instead, there were many good site's to see.
If you want information on the Port, then check out this official website of the Port.....
OVER THE YEAR'S & GREAT PEOPLE!
Long ago, pre-historic worked and polished flints in primeval tombs were found on the heights of the Calais, so this part of the continent was lived in since prehistoric times.
Calais is where Julius Caesar gathered a fleet of 800 to 1000 sailing vessels that, with 5 legions and 2000 horses, launched the conquest of England.
It was in 997, the count of Flanders realized the importance of Calais Harbour.
He surrounded it with defensive walls flanked by towers, and made large outside ditches.
Richard The Lion Heart landed at Calais in 1189 on his way to the Crusades.
At that time the town was part of the country of Boulogne. It was fortified by the Count of Boulogne in 1224.
In 1346, Edward III fought a long and hard siege up until in the 11th month, when the starving Calais people decided they could take no more.
The Governor, Jean de Vienne, sent a message to the English king saying he would surrender if everyone in the town, soldiers and citizens alike, were given a pardon.
In 1520 Henry VIII of England sailed from Dover to Calais at the invitation of François I of France, who hoped they could make an alliance against the Spanish, this never happened, and they never became allies.
Anne Bolyen became pregnant with Elizabeth I when on a trip to Calais with Henry VIII in December of 1532.
Calais was in English hands until 1558 when Francois De Guise regained it.
This was a mortal blow to Mary Tudor who said the famous words...
"If my heart was opened the name of Calais would be found written on it".
The Spanish Armada anchored off-shore overnight at Calais in 1588, on their way to invade England.
Calais accumulated immense riches that tempted the Spanish Prince to seize Calais by surprise in 1596. The City thenbelonged to the Spaniard's for 2 year's, before returning to French hand's again through the treaty of Vervins.
At the beginning of the 18th century the English fleet continued to be at large, menacing Calais.
On April 24, 1814 the king of France Louis 18 left exile and came to Calais to take possession of his throne. The restoration was for Calais a period of prosperity.
The First World War 1914-1918 ......
"The war to end all wars" ended in an armistice, but led eventually to the Second World War, Calais was still intact.
After the Second World War 1939-1944, Calais was in ruins.
So this conclude's our 2011 tour through France, and we depart on a P&O Ferry to Dover, England.
If you like, follow me through England for another part of our journey.
- In a nutshell:More than the Ferry Terminal!
I pre-booked our Ferry ticket to Dover, quite a long time in advance. Whether it was cheaper then or not, I am not sure,... more travel advice
The church was constructed toward the end of the thirteenth century following a strong growth of the population. It's a... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Calais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Citizens of Calais"
- "CALAIS - MORE THAN I EXPECTED!"
- "Calais - A lovely way to spend the day."
- "Calais - gateway to Europe"
- "Calais for a day"
- "A bit more than a Ferry Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calais
- Hotels in Calais
- Transportation in Calais
- Restaurants in Calais
- Shopping in Calais
- Warnings and Dangers in Calais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calais
- 13 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (271)
Have you been to Calais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calais
Photos in CalaisSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 740 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues