"DOMFRONT - A MEDIEVAL TOWN" Domfront by balhannah

Domfront Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos

AN 11th century Medieval Town that is begging to be explored is how I describe Domfront.

Around 1010, the first fortification was erected, on a sandstone promontory which overlooks the gorges of the Varenne.

It was surrounded with deep moats and was a formidable fortress.

In its position, where you can see miles and miles in any direction, Domfront castle has been, for several centuries, one of the strongest keeps in FRANCE.

The town was protected by 24 towers connected to ramparts.

There are lots of very narrow alleys where half-timbered houses, Pubs & shops line the streets.

It is another one of those towns, where time has stood still in some areas.

After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town.

DINAN, ST. MALO, DINARD

• In a nutshell:A wonderful medieval town for wandering around!
  • Last visit to Domfront: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2012

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Another magical town I would love to visit :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM

LOL, you notice the same things as I do. Love the manhole cover. People forget that these are a lost art. Excellent page Dee!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We have the same name, so why not notice the same things! LOL!!!!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I love the old narrow streets - a town begging to be explored! And yes, what yummy-looking cakes :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Cakes to die for... yes!! Oh my, you made me very hungry now! Cute little town and I love the simple mosaics inside the church.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Dee, a delightful page, this is what I look for when visiting Europe. The French do it well, the Palace, old street buildings in beautiful condition were a treat to see. But my "belly" rules. Nothing could beat the cakes!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Domfront

Have you been to Domfront?

Latest Activity in Domfront