"DOMFRONT - A MEDIEVAL TOWN" Domfront by balhannah
Domfront Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos
AN 11th century Medieval Town that is begging to be explored is how I describe Domfront.
Around 1010, the first fortification was erected, on a sandstone promontory which overlooks the gorges of the Varenne.
It was surrounded with deep moats and was a formidable fortress.
In its position, where you can see miles and miles in any direction, Domfront castle has been, for several centuries, one of the strongest keeps in FRANCE.
The town was protected by 24 towers connected to ramparts.
There are lots of very narrow alleys where half-timbered houses, Pubs & shops line the streets.
It is another one of those towns, where time has stood still in some areas.
After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town.
DINAN, ST. MALO, DINARD
- In a nutshell:A wonderful medieval town for wandering around!
We went to the spa resort of Bagnoles de l’Orne on our way to Domfront. What a Town, and as is the case with most... more travel advice
This Church has been placed on the National Heritage since 1993 and stands in the place where a 14th century Chapel... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Domfront Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Domfront
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Domfront?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Domfront
Photos in DomfrontSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 242 reviews, 692 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 121 reviews, 414 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues