"DOWN THE BOTTOM OF NEW ZEALAND" Riverton by balhannah
Riverton Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 20 photos
Riverton, on the south coast of New Zealand was a pretty area of natural
Only a small town serving the rural community, it is also a fishing port, a
seaside resort, a peaceful place to explore & relax.
Summertime .....the beaches & estuary are popular with swimmers,
kayakers, surfers & family picnics. Walkers can explore the shoreline,
enjoy several easy bushwalks, or watch the birdlife and get an occasional
glimpse of seals and dolphins.
The Pourakino River and Aparima River empty into Foveaux Strait at Riverton.
Riverton's population is currently about 1900 people, and its main industry
is fishing, but the fishing is slowly drying up.
The fish factory based on its main wharf has now closed. The harbour is
still quite busy however as it is the nearest safe harbour for access to NZ's
south / west seas.
It is also popular for water sking, rowing, fishing and catching the
We came to Riverton, had a look around and stayed the night, were pretty
impressed with this area!
The Clifden Suspension Bridge is a historic suspension bridge near Clifden. Spanning the Waiau River, it is only... more travel advice
Maori legend is here......Takitimu was a sacred canoe, and it is believed it was turned into stone here and was wrecked... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Riverton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riverton Rocks!!!!"
- "DOWN THE BOTTOM OF NEW ZEALAND"
- "Right on the Foveaux Straight"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riverton
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Riverton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riverton
Photos in RivertonSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue