Westport Things to Do Tips by balhannah
Westport Things to Do: 9 reviews and 17 photos
Located south of Westport & Charleston, are the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes that were formed under the sea 30 million years ago, and have now weathered into extraordinary shapes by wind and waves.
The blowholes are the result of massive undermining of these weird structures by wave action. High seas surge into caverns, causing enough pressure to propel impressive geysers of spume and spray up through clefts in the rock. The best time to visit the blowholes is at high tide when they are at their most powerful.
The Dolomite Point lookout above the famous pancake rocks, is a short walk from the road on a paved loop track. You will hear the booming surf long before you see the pancakes!
We didn't do this as we were moving on, but if you are here at dusk and head down to the nearby beaches and wave-sculpted rock platforms, you may see Westland black petrels. This is the only breeding colony of these large burrow-nesting birds in the world.
LOCATION.... 40 km north of Greymouth, or south of Westport on the West Coast.
There is an information centre, tearooms, tavern, motels, lodges and a motor camp located here. There are some good photo opportunities, and this is a MUST SEE!
Website: http://www.punakaiki.co.nz/ -
Cape Foulwind is located near Westport. At the Cape, there is a good track to viewing platforms so that you can see the Seals and the rugged coastline. The Seals here, are New Zealand Fur Seals. They give birth in late November. A week or so later, the males arrive at the colony, looking for a mate. The males remain ashore, and do not feed for up to two months during the breeding season. With the pups , there is plenty of playful activity to watch.
Also here, is a walking track, about 11/2 hours which takes you to a sandy beach and granite cliffs. You get great views of the Cape, and another side track will take you to the lighthouse.
More Reviews (5)
balhannah's Related Pages
Westport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WESTPORT & SURROUNDS"
- "Wesport - start of Lewis and Arthur's Passes"
- "The port that was: Westpost NZ"
- "Westport, NZ"
- "Westport on the West Coast of the South Island"
- "Westport, West Coast of South Island, New Zealand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Westport
- Hotels in Westport
- Transportation in Westport
- Nightlife in Westport
- Restaurants in Westport
- See All...
Explore the World
- Auckland Hotels
- Shirlington Hotels
- Pittsburgh Hotels
- Sanibel Island
- Jelutong Hotels
Badges & Stats in Westport
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Westport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westport
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (229)
Latest Westport hotel reviews
- Buller Bridge Motel Westport
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013