"MAROOCHYDORE & MOOLOOLABA" Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore by balhannah
Maroochydore Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 222 photos
ONE OF MY FAVORITES!
Maroochydore I love!
To me, it is situated centrally on the Sunshine Coast, which makes it a good place to stay, and then go exploring the Sunshine coast.
The name Maroochydore comes from the Aboriginal word "Murukutchi-da" meaning "the home of the black swan".
You will sometimes see a pair of black swans on the river or in one of Maroochydore's waterways, though pelicans are much more common.
Stretching to Noosa National Park, the long Maroochydore Beach is excellent for swimmers, and surfers. There are great views to Point Cartwright and to Mudjimba Island (once owned by Sean Connery).
Along the river you'll find lovely picnic areas and still-water swimming destinations. If you journey to the mouth of the river, you will see Pincushion Island, a tall sand and rock formation famed for its fishing.
You can hit the beach, cruise the river, clean out the shops and dine in the restaurants all in the one day!
MOO!! MOO!!! MOOLOOLABA!
Mooloolaba sits on a spit of land between a marina on the Mooloolah River and beautiful ocean beaches and Point Cartwright.
It is only a short distance from Maroochydore. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping, white beaches with patrolled areas for swimming and surfing, and walks along the broadwalk.
It is located approximately 100 km (1 hour) from Brisbane
The name Mooloolaba is thought to have derived from either the Aboriginal
word 'mulu' for snapper fish or from 'mullu' meaning red-bellied black snake.
The Mooloolah River mouth and harbour was chartered in 1861. Mooloolah Heads was the gateway to the Maroochy District between 1870 to 1884. Due to the protection Point Cartwright offered, the port was preferred over the Maroochy River. Steamers carried produce, passengers and timber between Mooloolaba and Brisbane.
Throughout the 1920s the population increased, and there were many Holiday cottages and houses dotted along the river and the narrow
spit. Boat hire and fishing were also very popular. As the roads and public
amenities improved, Mooloolaba continued to develop as both a premier residential and holiday location.
With a sub-tropical climate and ocean breezes, it is never stifling hot and rarely freezing cold. Tropical lighting storms are common in the summer months.
The temperature range from 17°C to 28°C in Summer, and 7°C to 23°C in Winter.
All major coach lines service the Sunshine Coast, with transit centres at Caloundra, Maroochydore, Nambour and Noosa. Regular daily services operate between the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane.
Visit Underwater World while here, it is great!
- In a nutshell:Great place for a seaside or riverside holiday!
I think the Maroochy river is lovely. Having stayed in the Caravan Park located beside the river, and been up very early... more travel advice
After stopping at the car park lookout, we then headed up the track to the Point Cartwright lookout where the Lighthouse... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Maroochydore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maroochydore...black swan country"
- "MAROOCHYDORE & MOOLOOLABA"
- "Sweetberry's Maroochydore Page"
- "SUNSHINE COAST"
- "A great place to base yourself"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maroochydore
- Hotels in Maroochydore
- Transportation in Maroochydore
- Nightlife in Maroochydore
- Restaurants in Maroochydore
- Shopping in Maroochydore
- Warnings and Dangers in Maroochydore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maroochydore
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Maroochydore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maroochydore
Photos in MaroochydoreSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue