"THE FORGOTTEN CAPITAL CITY - ADELAIDE" Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide by balhannah

Adelaide Travel Guide: 985 reviews and 2,153 photos

Writing this page is bringing back many happy memories for me.
Adelaide, was where I went to work, where my friends and relatives live, and where I spent a lot of my time.

If you have questions, please email me, and I will try to do my best to answer them.

HOW DID ADELAIDE GET ITS NAME?

Adelaide, capital of South Australia, was named after Queen Adelaide, a German princess.
She was the wife of William IV, the English king who reigned from 1830 until he died in 1837. Adelaide's full name was Adelheid Amalie Luise Theresa Carolin of Saxe-Meiningen. After she married the heir to the British throne in July 1818, she changed the spelling of her name from Adelheid to Adelaide.
The name for the new city was chosen by the English authorities, but selecting the site, surveying the Adelaide Plains and planning the city was done by Colonel William Light.

Residents of the different States of Australia all have knicknames.........
South Australian's are known as ...........

Home of the "CROW - EATERS"

Adelaide is a city often overlooked by overseas visitors.
It is not a big, busy city, like Sydney and Melbourne, but I think this is an advantage.
It is well laid out, only two Capital cities in Australia are, the other being Canberra. This makes it a breeze to get around.

It is one of the best laid out cities in the World.

Victoria Square (an 8 acre park) is in the centre of the city, with Whitmore, Wellington, Light and Hurtle the other four 6 acre squares in each corner.
Thanks to Colonel Light, there is a large area of parkland completely surrounding this well laid out city.
Adelaide has hot, dry summers, so these parks are a blessing.
The beautiful River Torrens runs through the city, located here, is the Festival Theatre, and on the other side North Adelaide.
The sea on one side, the scenic Adelaide Hills on the other, World renowned Wineries nearby, scenic drives, fresh clean air, what more could you ask for, this is city where you can relax and enjoy.

AROUND ADELAIDE ARE........

Breathtaking views, Farms, Orchards, Gorges, Dams, Wineries, Pubs, Restaurants, B&B's, Markets, and delightful villages, this is just a taste of what you can expect to see and enjoy.

I will provide links to my other pages. These will be to places near to Adelaide that you can do on a round day trip by Car or a Bus tour.
You don't have to do the full day trip, you can do part, and go the reverse way if you wish!

I HOPE THE DAY TRIPS WE DID AND I HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT, WILL GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS!
HAPPY TRAVELS!

DAY TRIPS FROM ADELAIDE...

DAY TRIP 1..........Either by car or Bus, make a trip to the historic German town of HAHNDORF where you will spend quite a bit of time looking around. Next, continue onto MT. BARKER and go up the Mt. Barker Summit for wonderful views, or stroll the historic main street before heading back to Adelaide.

DAY TRIP 2.......Drive up the GREENHILL ROAD to BALHANNAH/OAKBANK, then follow the Onkaparinga Valley road to WOODSIDE and then LOBETHAL, MT. TORRENS, BIRDWOOD, where a must visit is the National Motor Museum.
From Birdwood, we start to head back to Adelaide, passing through Gumeracha where the Big Rocking Horse is. We wind our way past Chain of Ponds, where in the late afternoon, there is a good chance of seeing Kangaroo's.
It is a pretty drive back to Adelaide following the Main North East Road through Inglewood to the suburb's of Tea Tree Gully.
This is the end of another full and interesting day in the Adelaide Hills.

DAY TRIP 3.....A full day trip to the BAROSSA VALLEY visiting wineries, enjoying German food, historic buildings and wonderful scenery!

DAY TRIP 4.... We are going to MONARTO ZOO today, only travelling along the "old Mt. Barker road" instead of the highway. This takes us through some old villages. Our 1st stop is at NAIRNEthen MONARTO ZOO & MURRAY BRIDGE.
We follow the river until we reach MANNUM where we stop for a while to see the sights. Time to return via BIRDWOOD to ADELAIDE.

DAY TRIP 5....Head to the Adelaide Hills via the SE Freeway [M1] to where you see the sign to Stirling. Take this road and pass through Stirling onto ALDGATE, Mylor to ECHUNGA, a pretty drive with lots of Dairy farms.
We make a stop at MEADOWS to buy some meat, then carry onto the pretty village of CLARENDON.
As we travel down Chandler's Hill, we have wonderful views of the Adelaide suburbs. Once at the bottom, we head south to PORT NOARLUNGA and WILLUNGA where we stop and enjoy an excellent Bakery lunch. On the move again to the wine area of McLAREN VALE which is in a pretty setting.
This is our final stop on Day 5, and from here, we head back to Adelaide.

DAY TRIP 6....We are going to PORT ADELAIDE today to see the Train Museum and to have a look around the port.
Port Adelaide was wonderful, so we spent quite a lot of time there!
Now were are driving along Military Road to GLENELG, where we will stop again.
After spending some time here, we head back to Adelaide after another full day of sightseeing.

DAY TRIP 7...Today, we are heading up the S.E. Freeway to Mt. Barker, where we will turn-off and follow the road to STRATHALBYN.
Strathalbyn is full of history, has a lovely park and gardens and many historic buildings.
Our next stop is an interesting one at GOOLWA, where the River Murray enters the ocean, another town worth time to explore.
From here, we have ocean views on our way to VICTOR HARBOR, our final Town for the day, and a wonderful one at that, where you just may want to stay longer!

DAY TRIP 8....ANOTHER SCENIC ROUTE TO VICTOR HARBOR is to follow Route 23 from Adelaide to MYPONGA, YANKALILLA, NORMANVILLE, SECOND VALLEY, CAPE JERVIS, then through Parawa to VICTOR HARBOR.
We will go to GOOLWA, then near Finniss, take the turn to ASHBOURNE and Meadows and back to Adelaide.

DAY TRIP 9.....THE ADELAIDE HILLS, and today we are going to STIRLING and then to the MT. LOFTY BOTANIC GARDENS, MT. LOFTY SUMMIT and CLELAND WILDLIFE PARK

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

It's time to leave Adelaide and continue our 11,500 km driving holiday around South East Australia. Our first stop after leaving Adelaide is STRATHALBYN, where we leave our Caravan.

• Pros:Well laid out city, with a nice backdrop and surroundings.
  • Cons:Can be very hot in Summer
  • In a nutshell:A slower paced beautiful city
  • Last visit to Adelaide: May 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2014

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM

An excellent page - good updates :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Wow, this wonderful place is packed with all kinds of wonderful things to enjoy. South Australian War Memorial is beautiful, so is the Beehive mansion. The museums, cathedrals, memorials, and murals are awesome. This is my kind of place! Kudo's Dee for adding it to VT!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I have just learned that the Velo-City Global Conference 2014 will be held in Adelaide.
    velo-city2014.com/pages/the-...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Aug 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I didn't know that, but the Velo-City conference is not about racing, it's about using bicycles as an everyday means of transportation.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Aug 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I just had a quick look at the website and thought it was about the Race. Adelaide would be good for cycling as it's located on a flat plain, so no steep hills like we have in Brisbane city.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2013 at 7:18 AM

stopped by for a look see, have an old friend living here, and will be touring with you along S OZ soon ;-)))

• wabat's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Love the panda shot , Dee

• cal6060's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Woh! You can see Panda in Adelaide! I heard so much about this part of Australia! Beautiful coast..

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Great page! Love all Zoo's residents :) . Will be back for more. Kris

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Great Adelaide page. I had a friend who lived there and your pages brought this place to life. Ty for all your hard work on it!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2012 at 3:32 AM

I like the Adelaide greeters, that is fantastic. Thanks for the virtual tour, like you I love botanical gardens and add many tips on different sections of the botanical gardens I have visited :) A very informative page :)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

What an incredible brilliant concept, a city greeter. That would make a huge difference in a visit! How well does that work out?

balhannah Visits Here Frequently!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Adelaide

Have you been to Adelaide?