"THE HISTORIC GOLD RUSH CITY OF BENDIGO" Top 5 Page for this destination Bendigo by balhannah
Bendigo Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 238 photos
BENDIGO - A BUSY, VIBRANT REGIONAL CENTRE
Created during one of the biggest Gold Rushes in the world, this is a City that it worth visiting. Every time I come here, I find somewhere new to visit!
Bendigo has opulence!
The gold rush began in 1851 when the first diggers rushed to the Bendigo fields and continued until 1954 when the last bucket of ore was brought to the surface.
Bendigo became a mix of nationalities, the Irish at St Killians, the Cornish at Long Gully and the Germans at Ironbark Gully, all came here after one thing - GOLD!
The city has many fine buildings, and quite a few are to do with the Chinese.
There a lots of beautiful parks, I just didn't take photo's of any!
Do come to Bendigo, it is easily reached by public transport, or is approx a 90min drive from Melbourne along the four lane divided Calder Freeway (A79).
After having a wonderful time in Bendigo [I wished I had an extra day], it was time to start heading back to Brisbane, but still some more interesting towns and sights to see before then.
Our next stop is at the small town of ROCHESTER, where one of Australias greatest cyclists was born.
- Pros:Interesting history about the Chinese & gold rush era
- In a nutshell:A must visit when in Victoria!
As Bendigo is old in Australian terms, I found some interesting pieces on my walk that have been preserved. One, was the... more travel advice
The Golden Nugget was a Caravan park, located off the Midland Highway. There were shady trees, lawned sites, paved... more travel advice
Written Oct 15, 2012
"KUAN YIN TEMPLE" - BENDIGO
Written Oct 16, 2012
HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN BENDIGO
balhannah's Related Pages
Bendigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bendigo, the city built with gold"
- "THE HISTORIC GOLD RUSH CITY OF BENDIGO"
- "Sweetberry's Bendigo Page."
- "Keeweechic's Bendigo"
- "Golden past, golden future"
- "BENDIGO......DRAGON CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bendigo
- Hotels in Bendigo
- Transportation in Bendigo
- Restaurants in Bendigo
- Shopping in Bendigo
- Warnings and Dangers in Bendigo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bendigo
- 26 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Bendigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bendigo
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: About Toll Charges in..."
- Commented on one of Merebin's Bendigo travel pages
- updated a Bendigo Travel Page "THE HISTORIC GOLD RUSH CITY OF BENDIGO"
- Wrote a Review OTHER SIGHTS IN BENDIGO in Bendigo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "OTHER SIGHTS IN BENDIGO"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 138 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues