"HISTORIC GOLD MINING TOWN" Bingara by balhannah
Bingara Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 54 photos
A return visit for us to Bingara, a small town, located in a rather pretty area.
Bingara [est 1840], is an old gold and diamond-mining town, located in the Gwydir River Valley.
Gold was discovered in the area in 1851, with the prosperous Upper Bingera goldfields (30 km from the town) established the following year. A lot of the early Prospectors were Chinese.
Diamonds were found 11 km west of Bingara in 1873. By the 1890s the field was Australia's largest. The Star of the South (37 000 carats) was found here.
With lots of cypress-covered mountains, it is a popular spot with anglers and fossickers. We saw some nice free camping spots alongside the River.
Gold and sapphires are still found in the local Rivers & Creeks.
Bingara is located on the Fossickers Way [ a tourist drive route] and is 562 km north of Sydney. 'Bingera' became 'Bingara' to avoid postal confusion with Bingera in Queensland.
The district produces fine Wool, Beef Cattle, Pigs, poultry, wheat, sorghum and timber, we passed by most of these on our way here.
The population grew over the years with the finding of Gold & Diamonds, peaking at over 1600 people in 1911, but by the end of the 19th century,
the mines had already begun to close, and the population began to fall.
Bingara holds an Orange Festival each year on the first weekend in August.
I went into the Information centre for a map of the Murals in town. A lovely, helpful woman told me where to find them, as they didn't have a map.
- In a nutshell:Nice quiet town in a pretty setting.
Just outside of Bingara, on Tourist Route 3, take a look at a person's home made sculptures/ ornaments they they have in... more travel advice
This is a lovely scenic route to drive. Bingara is located in the centre of it. The route is mainly bitumen surfaced,... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bingara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORIC GOLD MINING TOWN"
- "Surviving on the tourist trail"
- "BINGARA - Gem of the New England"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bingara
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (247)
Have you been to Bingara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bingara
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: About Toll Charges in..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Bingara travel pages
- updated a Bingara Travel Page "HISTORIC GOLD MINING TOWN"
- Wrote a Review Unusual sculptures! in Bingara Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "TOURIST ROUTE 3 - BINGARA TO INVERELL"
Photos in BingaraSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues