"HISTORIC GOLD MINING TOWN" Bingara by balhannah
Bingara Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 54 photos
A return visit for us to Bingara, a small town, located in a rather pretty area.
Bingara , is an old gold and diamond-mining town, located in the Gwydir River Valley.
Gold was discovered in the area in 1851, with the prosperous Upper Bingera goldfields (30 km from the town) established the following year. A lot of the early Prospectors were Chinese.
Diamonds were found 11 km west of Bingara in 1873. By the 1890s the field was Australia's largest. The Star of the South (37 000 carats) was found here.
With lots of cypress-covered mountains, it is a popular spot with anglers and fossickers. We saw some nice free camping spots alongside the River.
Gold and sapphires are still found in the local Rivers & Creeks.
Bingara is located on the Fossickers Way [ a tourist drive route] and is 562 km north of Sydney. 'Bingera' became 'Bingara' to avoid postal confusion with Bingera in Queensland.
The district produces fine Wool, Beef Cattle, Pigs, poultry, wheat, sorghum and timber, we passed by most of these on our way here.
The population grew over the years with the finding of Gold & Diamonds, peaking at over 1600 people in 1911, but by the end of the 19th century,
the mines had already begun to close, and the population began to fall.
Bingara holds an Orange Festival each year on the first weekend in August.
2016 ROAD TRIP - Next stop is NARRABRI
- In a nutshell:Nice quiet town in a pretty setting.
Just outside of Bingara, on Tourist Route 3, take a look at a person's home made sculptures/ ornaments they they have in... more travel advice
This is a lovely scenic route to drive. Bingara is located in the centre of it. The route is fully surfaced from one... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bingara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORIC GOLD MINING TOWN"
- "Surviving on the tourist trail"
- "BINGARA - Gem of the New England"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bingara
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (583)
Have you been to Bingara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bingara
Photos in BingaraSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 254 reviews, 744 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues