"IN THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS" Bowral by balhannah
Bowral Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 213 photos
The name Bowral was derived from Bowrel, which was the Aboriginal name given to the area. Bowrel is thought to have meant "large" or "high", referring to Mt Gibraltar, the nearby Mountain which has quite a few excellent lookouts.
Once the railway line had been completed, Bowral soon became a summer holiday retreat for many wealthy Sydney residents. These Sydneysiders had come to the area to not only get away from Sydney, but due the Southern Highlands' cooler climate, to escape the often scorching and humid Sydney summers.
Left behind are magnificent mansions and spacious gardens containing many European deciduous and evergreen trees, exotic plants and flowering annuals.
This area is a "gardeners delight," my only wish is that more of the private homes would open up their gardens for the public to view.
With the Southern Highlands having very distinct seasons, the best time to visit Bowral would be during either autumn or spring.
During autumn, the trees explode with bright reds and oranges, and the air is crisp, nice to sit around the wood fire in the evenings.
Spring, and the area is in full bloom with springtime annuals such as the popular tulip, and many of the local gardens become open to the Public, including one of the most esteemed gardens in the world, the famous Milton Park.
This area is beautiful in Spring, and this year (2009) I had the chance to visit many of the open gardens in the area.
Bowral is also of interest to Cricketing fans who would remember it for where Sir Donald Bradman lived as a child for a short time.
The Bradman Museum of Cricket is located next to Bradman oval.
Located in the pretty Southern Highlands, 126kms from Sydney, Bowral and the surrounding towns are worth a visit or a longer stay.
On these pages, I have included the nearby towns of .........
MITTAGONG, BUNDANOON, MOSS VALE & BERRIMA,
........as they are all in close proximity to Bowral.
- Pros:Beautiful Mansions and gardens
- In a nutshell:I love this pretty area and the changes of the seasons
"The greatest batsman the world has ever known" Cricket fans of Sir Donald Bradman.....did you know that there is a... more travel advice
When visiting the Southern highlands, make your 1st stop at the Mittagong tourist information centre. It is located on... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bowral Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS"
- "Bowral - if you can afford it"
- "Bowral - a great place to visit or live"
- "Really nice old country town"
- "BOWRAL SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS NEW SOUTH WALES"
- "Bong Bong Picnic Races - 2004"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bowral
- 21 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (498)
Have you been to Bowral?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bowral
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues