"FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD" Braidwood by balhannah
Braidwood Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 236 photos
Sitting on a plateau above the south coast and in the southern tablelands
is the historic town of BRAIDWOOD
This area was first settled by white settlers, with the help of Convicts in
the 1820s. The town boomed during the goldrush of the 1850s but today
remains the rural centre of a Beef & Sheep farming area.
Many of its buidings from the boom days still stand and many have been restored.
Braidwood has been used as a setting of the Australian movies, such as
Ned Kelly (starring Mick Jagger), The Year My Voice Broke and the recent
remake of Dad and Dave.
There are also three State Forests and three spectacular National Parks close by.
Braidwood is centrally located for bushwalking experiences in the Morton,
Budawang and the Deua National Parks.
As you drive from Batemans Bay to Braidwood, you ascend the magnificent
Eastern Escarpment and are meant to enjoy great views across the coast
and the forests of the escarpment itself, a lovely scenic drive so we heard,
but this section was not so for us, as it was foggy.
Well, looks like a return trip in the future to see what we missed.
I loved Braidwood, as I love looking at the historic buildings of the past,
and learning about them.
Spend some time and have a good look around, don't just pass through!
And..........if you want something to eat, then try the Braidwood bakery,
the food is good!
BRAIDWOOD’S MASONIC TEMPLE............ Was one of the earliest lodges in NSW. The present façade was completed in... more travel advice
ST. ANDREW'S ANGLICAN CHURCH Built between 1856 and 1862. I thought this church was beautiful, even though I did not... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Braidwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braidwood - Historical Town of New South Wales"
- "FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD"
- "Chilly Braidwood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braidwood
- Hotels in Braidwood
- Transportation in Braidwood
- Restaurants in Braidwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Braidwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Braidwood
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Braidwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braidwood
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: 2 nights lodging "
- updated a Braidwood Travel Page "FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD"
- Commented on one of victorwkf's Braidwood travel pages
- Wrote a Review HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN BRAIDWOOD in Braidwood Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN BRAIDWOOD"
Photos in BraidwoodSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues