"FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD" Braidwood by balhannah
Braidwood Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 236 photos
Located between Canberra & Bateman's Bay
Sitting on a plateau above the south coast and in the southern tablelands
is the historic town of BRAIDWOOD. This area was first settled by white settlers, with the help of Convicts in the 1820s. The town boomed during the goldrush of the 1850s but today remains the rural centre of a Beef & Sheep farming area.
Many of its buidings from the boom days still stand and many have been restored.
Braidwood has been used as a setting of the Australian movies, such as Ned Kelly (starring Mick Jagger), The Year My Voice Broke and the recent
remake of Dad and Dave.
There are also three State Forests and three spectacular National Parks close by. Braidwood is centrally located for bushwalking experiences in the Morton, Budawang and the Deua National Parks.
As you drive from Batemans Bay to Braidwood, you ascend the magnificent
Eastern Escarpment, having great views across to the coast and of the forests of the escarpment itself. We were told, "It's a lovely scenic drive, not for us though, as this section was foggy and we couldn't see a thing!
Well, looks like a return trip in the future to see what we missed.
I loved Braidwood, as I love looking at the historic buildings of the past, and learning about them.
Spend some time and have a good look around, don't just pass through!
And..........if you want something to eat, then try the Braidwood bakery, the food is good!
- In a nutshell:Well worth stopping and doing the town walk.
BRAIDWOOD’S MASONIC TEMPLE............ Was one of the earliest lodges in NSW. The present façade was completed in... more travel advice
ST. ANDREW'S ANGLICAN CHURCH Built between 1856 and 1862. I thought this church was beautiful, even though I did not... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Braidwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braidwood - Historical Town of New South Wales"
- "FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD"
- "Chilly Braidwood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braidwood
- Hotels in Braidwood
- Transportation in Braidwood
- Restaurants in Braidwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Braidwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Braidwood
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (476)
Have you been to Braidwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braidwood
- Commented on one of balhannah's Braidwood travel pages
- Posted in Travel England Forum "Re: Itinerary suggestions for a..."
- updated a Braidwood Travel Page "FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD"
- Wrote a Review HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN BRAIDWOOD in Braidwood Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN BRAIDWOOD"
Photos in BraidwoodSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues