"FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD" Braidwood by balhannah

Braidwood Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 236 photos

Located between Canberra & Bateman's Bay

Sitting on a plateau above the south coast and in the southern tablelands
is the historic town of BRAIDWOOD. This area was first settled by white settlers, with the help of Convicts in the 1820s. The town boomed during the goldrush of the 1850s but today remains the rural centre of a Beef & Sheep farming area.

Many of its buidings from the boom days still stand and many have been restored.

Braidwood has been used as a setting of the Australian movies, such as Ned Kelly (starring Mick Jagger), The Year My Voice Broke and the recent
remake of Dad and Dave.

There are also three State Forests and three spectacular National Parks close by. Braidwood is centrally located for bushwalking experiences in the Morton, Budawang and the Deua National Parks.

As you drive from Batemans Bay to Braidwood, you ascend the magnificent
Eastern Escarpment, having great views across to the coast and of the forests of the escarpment itself. We were told, "It's a lovely scenic drive, not for us though, as this section was foggy and we couldn't see a thing!

Well, looks like a return trip in the future to see what we missed.
I loved Braidwood, as I love looking at the historic buildings of the past, and learning about them.

Spend some time and have a good look around, don't just pass through!

And..........if you want something to eat, then try the Braidwood bakery, the food is good!

• In a nutshell:Well worth stopping and doing the town walk.
  • Last visit to Braidwood: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2013

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Dee, insightful guide to a place i regularly pass through/ stop for coffee ... I also buy all my fittings such as mantles for an oil lamp I have here - there are in fact two old oil lamp shops here!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Another very interesting page, thank you for telling us about Australia. I love the name, Braidwood, it made me think of braided woodwork.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Hi Dee, your information on Braidwood is great! Really lovely and laid-back town which I enjoyed too :)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Brought back memories of a great driving holiday I had with my boys when they were little. We passed through Braidwood enroute to Canberra. They're all grown up now. It was a long time ago. Sniff, sniff!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for this interesting, historical tour of an early settlement.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Lots of quaint little places to roam about in!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Braidwood

Have you been to Braidwood?