"BRISBANE - Capital of Queensland" Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane by balhannah
Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,655 reviews and 3,725 photos
Brisbane is Australia's 3rd largest city, isn't as busy as Sydney, I like to say, more laid back!
As the slogan goes "beautiful one day, perfect the next" lovely weather for most of the year. Winter here, is mild, so if you come from a cold country, you will probably be swimming in the middle of winter.
We have a beach in Brisbane itself, (south bank) it is man made, and is located by the Brisbane River. A lovely place for a stroll, visit the weekend markets, outdoor cafes, and swimming and relaxation.
This was the former EXPO site, and now its a site for everybody to enjoy.
At nearby Kangaroo Point, you can try abseiling the cliffs. At night, these are lit up.
Story Bridge is here also, you can do a bridge climb. Hire a kayak and explore the Brisbane river, or take the "city Cat".
There's Botanical gardens, wildlife, nightlife, shopping, everything you could want.
Brisbane is a good base to make day trips from.
MORETON BAY has nice suburbs, SEE Brisbane off the beaten track tips.
PETRIE, A suburb of Brisbane, has weekend markets in an historical village, and a good Museum next door, this makes for a great Sunday's outing.
Visit REDLAND BAY and the Islands,.....these include .....................MORETON ISLAND, NORTH & SOUTH STRADBROKE ISLANDS, COOCHIE MUDLO ISLAND, ST. HELENA ISLAND, are some of the nice ones to visit.
Another gorgeous island is BRIBIE ISLAND
Nearby, is CABOOLTURE - A must visit for tourist's is the Old Historic Village, a really good place to get an idea of what Buildings and life was like in the past, very well done and cheap admission.
The GOLD COAST is only an hour away, and the Hinterland the same.
Places to visit in the hinterland are O'REILLY'S, BEECHMONT, TAMBORINE MOUNTAIN, LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK including PURLINGBROOK FALLS, NATURAL ARCH, area and more, check out the map.
IPSWICH,less than hour from Brisbane, has lovely heritage homes, a nature park with Bilbys, Japanese gardens, Museums, and other sights to see, and if you continue on through the LOCKYER VALLEY, you will see lots of market gardens.
Head up the top of the range to TOOWOOMBA, our garden city, not to be missed.
Every year in September, they hold the week long Garden Festival.
Lots of excellent views in this area and of course, beautiful gardens.
Veering off from Ipswich, and heading south is another area of natural beauty, this is BOONAH and LAKES MOOGERAH & MAROON.
Or.....Head up the "Valley of the Lakes" to Esk, and Lake Somerset & Wivenhoe Dam, the water supply for Brisbane.
Mountains with outstanding views, and some pretty bird life.
MT. NEBO, MT. MEE, SAMFORD VALLEY, this area is a delight too.
You could visit the beautiful BUNYA MOUNTAINS,
either for a day, or stay overnight in one of the cabins, especially nice in hot weather, its a lot cooler here!
If you go north, then there is the SUNSHINE COAST, very nice, not
as developed as the Gold coast, and the well known area of
NOOSA HEADS and MAROOCHYDORE
On the way, you will pass the amazing GLASSHOUSE MOUNTAINS, and in the hinterland, outstanding views down to the coast.
Be sure to visit the towns of ....
MALENY, MAPLETON & MONTVILLE for arts & crafts, galleries, outdoor Cafes, beautiful views.
There is so much more, these are just a few ideas.
So, click on the BLUE NAMES for a look at these places.
Hire a car, go and explore, out from the city, the roads are quiet.
ENJOY YOUR STAY IN BRISBANE.
- Pros:A smaller city with plenty to see & do!
- In a nutshell:Nice city with beautiful surrounds
A very nice scenic drive to do, is a full day trip to Mt. Mee. From Brisbane, head toSamford, then onto the small... more travel advice
Passing through the Brisbane suburbs along Waterworks Road, we soon were on Mt. Nebo road and travelling through the... more travel advice
- See All GIFTS FROM SCANDINAVIA
- See All FOOD @ SCANDINAVIAN FESTIVAL
- See All GOOD TUCKER!
- See All HAIL THE BUS!
balhannah's Related Pages
Brisbane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BRISBANE - Capital of Queensland"
- "MY HOME"
- "Be it ever so humble......."
- "Home on the Range"
- "A big country town.................."
- "BRISBANE – Out of ‘Moreton Bay’"
- "OK BRISBANE, HERE I COME"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brisbane
- Hotels in Brisbane
- Transportation in Brisbane
- Nightlife in Brisbane
- Restaurants in Brisbane
- Shopping in Brisbane
- Warnings and Dangers in Brisbane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brisbane
- 241 Reviews
- 676 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 63 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Brisbane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brisbane
- Posted in Travel Bodrum Forum "Re: bus from bodrum town to..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Brisbane tips
- Wrote a Review A SCENIC DRIVE TO MT. MEE about General in Brisbane Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Brisbane Travel Page "BRISBANE - Capital of Queensland"
- Uploaded a Photo to "BRISBANE FOREST PARK"
Photos in BrisbaneSee All Photos (676)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue