"BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY" Top 5 Page for this destination Broken Hill by balhannah
Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 350 photos
OUTBACK CITY IN AUSTRALIA.........
1,170 km west of Sydney and almost on the South Australian border, there sits a near oasis in an arid landscape.
If you want to visit an Outback City, then why not come and have a look at Broken Hill.
It's easy to get to, with flights daily from Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne.
If you enjoy a Train trip,then you can catch the "Indian Pacific" which is a regular link between Broken Hill and Adelaide.
Another option is the Rail/Train link from Sydney.
Buses run here too, or just come in your own or a hire car.
Broken Hill is a large city with wide colonial streets, wide enough for the large Bullock teams to be able to turn around in the streets years ago.
It is also where the Australian company, BHP, was born out of the discovery of a huge silver-lead-zinc seam in 1883 and operated here until 1940.
Wool production and tourism is also a money spinner for the city.
Broken Hill also is known for it’s famous citizens, past and present, a lot of them Artists, as they like to paint this kind of country.
Some of them are -
CJ Dennis, June Bronhill, Pro Hart and Jack Absolom, and quite a few Movies.
Broken Hill is the base for the Royal Flying Doctor Service and School of the Air.
Those Outback children have lessons taken in a very different way to "city" children, and if any person on one of the enormous outback stations is sick, or perhaps needs to go to Hospital, this is when the Flying Doctor comes to the rescue!
If you do come to Broken Hill, be sure to check out the nearby [nearly a ghost town] of SILVERTON.
This is the next town we visit on our southern Australia road trip.
We have been and seen Silverton, and now are going back to the Caravan Park and the next morning will commence the 284 km drive to PETERBOROUGH, a Railway town.
This time, there are a few small towns where fuel is available and we cross the State border into SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
- Pros:Lots to see and do
- Cons:Long way from anywhere
- In a nutshell:You either love or hate it!
When you have reached Yunta, then you haven't far to go to the fruit fly check-point. This is a proper station, with a... more travel advice
Mannahill is the next small town you come to, a little larger than Olary. It had a few more houses, a Police station and... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Broken Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Art Capital of Australia"
- "BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY"
- "Broken Hill"
- "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
- "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- "Broken Hill area Wildlife"
- "Broken Hill - The Aussie outback"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broken Hill
- Hotels in Broken Hill
- Transportation in Broken Hill
- Restaurants in Broken Hill
- Shopping in Broken Hill
- Warnings and Dangers in Broken Hill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broken Hill
- 55 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Broken Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broken Hill
Photos in Broken HillSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 242 reviews, 692 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 121 reviews, 414 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues