"BUNYA MOUNTAINS" Bunya Mountains by balhannah
Bunya Mountains Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 24 photos
1st VT page on the Bunya Mountains National Park
GET AWAY FROM IT ALL!
The Bunya Mountains National Park is located approx 200ks north west of Brisbane. They were formed in the Jurassic era, and until white settlement, they played an important part in Aboriginal culture.
They are the second oldest national park in Queensland.
THEY ARE ALSO THE LARGEST NATURAL BUNYA PINE FOREST IN THE WORLD.
The best way to reach them from Brisbane, is either
from Nanango via Maidenwell.
from Yarraman via Cooyar.
Dandabah is the main settlement in the Bunya Mountains, and it is located right next to the National park.
There is all different types of accommodation available here, from Campground, Chalet, Log Cabin to Bed & Breakfasts.
The permanent population is only 40 people.
WILDLIFE - BIRDLIFE - WATERFALLS - WALKS
The National Park covers an area of 11,700 hectares. They are a part of the Great Dividing Range. This area is very pretty, and even in Summer, it can be quite cool. Nice views are to be had, as well as seeing wildlife and birdlife and enjoying rainforest walks. There are 40ks of trails with Tree identification.
Some of the Birds are King Parrots and Crimson Rosellas. Wallabies are seen on a regular basis and the varieties seen here are, Red Necked Wallabies, Swamp Wallabies and Pademelons. Brushed Tailed Possums and Ringtailed Possums are also seen at night.
WE STAYED AT NANANGO AND VISITED THE BUNYA MOUNTAINS AND SURROUNDS.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON NANANGO, SEE MY NANANGO PAGES.
- Pros:Good scenery and walks
- Cons:Can be cold, wet and miserable
- In a nutshell:A good "Getaway" from the City.
Coomba Waterfalls are located at Maidenwell, which is a town located in the Bunyas. A short drive will take you to the... more travel advice
Dandabah Settlement is the area where walks start from, the Conference centre is located, and so are a lot of different... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bunya Mountains Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bunya Mountains
- 6 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Bunya Mountains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bunya Mountains
Photos in Bunya MountainsSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue