"Carnarvon National Park" Carnarvon National Park by balhannah
Carnarvon National Park Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 139 photos
Hidden in the rugged ranges of Queensland's central highlands, 720Ks
north west of Brisbane, is the magnificent Carnarvon Gorge.
Carnarvon Gorge features towering sandstone cliffs,
vibrantly coloured side gorges, diverse flora and fauna and Aboriginal rock art.
Fed by rain and artesian springs, Carnarvon Creek has shaped the
Over the last 27 million years, the creek has eroded through 600 metres of basalt and sandstone - the lower 200 metres of which is dominated by spectacular sandstone cliffs.
All of the cultures known to have used Carnarvon Gorge, have treated it as
significant - the Aboriginal's creating some of the best stencil Art galleries
in the World, and the European's, by making it a National Park for future
generations to enjoy.
Most of the walking is easy as the tracks are well maintained.
It pays to be a bit adventurous, and explore the side gorges etc., well worth it!
Carnarvon National Park has recorded 210 bird species, around
60 different mammals, 22 types of frogs, and 90 kinds of reptiles.
Of the numerous plant species, 23 are listed as rare or vulnerable in Queensland.
Check out the creeks, because this is where Platypus live, and you have a
very good chance of spotting them. I saw them clearly every day.
The road in is surfaced but for the final 21ks, and this can be extremely
rough and corrugated, drive slowly and with care.
Watch out for Kangaroos!
This is a very popular park and it is advised to book accommodation
prior to arrival, especially in the school holidays.
Around 65,000 visitors a year make the trek to this outback oasis,
which is well known to the caravanners & campers.
You need quite a few days here to do the bush walks.
We had three full days, and that wasn't enough.
We look forward to a return trip, thoroughly enjoyed it here.
Carnarvon gorge is located between Roma and Emerald.
From Roma, drive 90 km north to Injune then a further 160 km along the Carnarvon Highway.
From Emerald, drive 65 km south to Springsure then 70 km east to Rolleston, and a further 61km to the Carnarvon turnoff.
No fuel is available after leaving Rolleston or Injune. The nearest vehicle and tyre repair facilities are at Roma and Springsure.
The 45 km road to the park has 15 km of unsealed gravel surface. This road can become impassable after rain and is suitable for conventional vehicles and caravans in dry weather
It hadn't been graded when we used this road, and was extremely corrugated and rough, made for a very slow 15kms.
Rolleston is the nearest town, 106ks to the north, very little is here,
an outback Aussie town.
Emerald to the North and Roma to the south are the nearest big towns, and it is from one of these that you will head to the Gorge from.
There is good accommodation available at both.
Its a pity this Park is a long way away as its one of our great
National Parks, well worth seeing.
The Australian's know about it, b
But somehow, the Oversea's tourist's seem to miss it!
Check out this website for more...................
- Pros:Fantastic scenery
- Cons:Long way from anywhere, and rough road at the end.
- In a nutshell:Fantastic bush walks
Some of the interesting Mountains we saw around Springsure were Mount Zamia and the Virgin Rock, which is situated four... more travel advice
When walking the trails, we saw heaps and heaps of beautiful Cycads growing, they were tremendous.. These are the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Carnarvon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carnarvon National Park"
- "Bigger than you think"
- "Carnarvon Gorge National Park"
- "Carnarvon Gorge, Queensland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carnarvon National Park
- Hotels in Carnarvon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Carnarvon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carnarvon National Park
- 12 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (457)
Have you been to Carnarvon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carnarvon National Park
Photos in Carnarvon National ParkSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues