""THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF QUEENSLAND"" Chinchilla by balhannah
Chinchilla Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos
CHINCHILLA - Days gone by..................
In 1844 and 1846, Explorer Ludwig Leichhardt encountered the Barungam Aborigines in this area. He described them as tall, strong, healthy and helpful, little did he know that they would turn violent, resulting in deaths on both sides.
Matthew Goggs, born in1809, one of 22 children, was the 1st white settler to build a small homestead on Chinchilla Station property in 1850.
In 1852 he married, and lived here with his wife until she died in 1858. They had 3 children, but none of them survived, life was harsh in those days.
Life on the land was pretty good in the 1850's and 1860's, more Settlers came, and then came the droughts from 1866 - 1868. These early pioneers did not give up in the hard times, they said.......
"They came, they conquered, stayed and prospered."
Early days sounded a bit like the "Wild, Wild, West!"
It reads that "in early 1877, a lawless, shanty town of tents and public houses had sprung up along Charley’s Creek."
CHINCHILLA - Today
Chinchilla in the Western Downs, is a smallish, friendly country Town.
Most people arrive by following the Warrego Highway which heads straight through the Town. There is more to see and do here than meets the eye.
Pop into the Chinchilla Visitor Information Centre for some helpful information.
Chinchilla Historical Museum, the Pioneer Cemetery and Boonarga Cactoblastis Hall, go fossicking for Petrified wood and Fossils.
Chinchilla has its own White Gums, and termite resistant Cypress Pines.
Plenty of Wildlife & Birdlife, the beautiful Chinchilla weir for some fun in the water, and let us not forget the....
Chinchilla produces 25% of Australia's Watermelons, so the town holds a festival every 2years.
Melon events are .....Melon skiing, pip spitting, Melon bungee, Melon chariot race ...all done in good fun! There is even Melon Art!
Throw in fireworks, Bush Poets, Free concerts, Street parade, dash for cash, cooking shows, markets and family entertainment, there is something for everyone.
You can make it a base, there is plenty of different types of accommodation on offer.
The beautiful Bunya Mountains are only a short drive away, also
Jimbour House is worth visiting.
Located less than a 3.5 hour drive from Brisbane
- In a nutshell:A lot more to see & do than you would think!
We went to the Chinchilla weir for the "free camping", but not only that, the Chinchilla weir is a lovely area for many... more travel advice
"Chinchilla Sands" is one of the three most highly significant fossil sites in Australia. Molluscs, frogs, fish, birds,... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Chinchilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF QUEENSLAND""
- "Chinchilla - Melon Capital of the World..."
- "Melon Capital, that's about it!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chinchilla
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Chinchilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chinchilla
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: About Toll Charges in..."
- updated a Chinchilla Travel Page ""THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF QUEENSLAND""
- Commented on one of cafank's Chinchilla travel pages
- Wrote a Review PRICKLY PEAR [Type of Cacti] in Chinchilla Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to ""THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF QUEENSLAND""
Photos in ChinchillaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 242 reviews, 692 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 121 reviews, 414 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues