"THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA" Chinchilla by balhannah
Chinchilla Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 134 photos
CHINCHILLA - Days gone by
Matthew Goggs, born in 1809, one of 22 children, was the 1st white settler to build a small homestead on Chinchilla Station property in 1850.
In 1852 he married, and lived here with his wife until she died in 1858. They had 3 children, but none of them survived, life was harsh in those days.
Life on the land was pretty good in the 1850's and 1860's, more Settlers came, and then came the droughts from 1866 - 1868. These early pioneers did not give up in the hard times, they said.......
"They came, they conquered, stayed and prospered."
Early days sounded a bit like the "Wild, Wild, West!"
It reads that "in early 1877, a lawless, shanty town of tents and public houses had sprung up along Charley’s Creek."
CHINCHILLA - Today
Chinchilla in the Western Downs, is a smallish, friendly country Town.
Most people arrive by following the Warrego Highway which heads straight through the Town. There is more to see and do here than meets the eye.
Pop into the Chinchilla Visitor Information Centre for some helpful information.
Chinchilla Historical Museum, the Pioneer Cemetery and Boonarga Cactoblastis Hall, go fossicking for Petrified wood and Fossils.
Chinchilla has its own White Gums, and termite resistant Cypress Pines.
Plenty of Wildlife & Birdlife, the beautiful Chinchilla weir for some fun in the water, and let us not forget the....
COME TO CHINCHILLA BY CAR, BUS OR TRAIN.
Located less than a 3.5 hour drive from Brisbane
Greyhound Australia stops on the Warrego Highway, a short walk across the railway bridge to Heeney St (the main street of Chinchilla).
The Westlander train comes through Chinchilla twice a week, on its way between Brisbane and Charleville.
Chinchilla produces 25% of Australia's Watermelons, so the town holds a festival every 2years.
Melon events are .....Melon skiing, pip spitting, Melon bungee, Melon chariot race ...all done in good fun! There is even Melon Art!
Throw in fireworks, Bush Poets, Free concerts, Street parade, dash for cash, cooking shows, markets and family entertainment, there is something for everyone.
You can make it a base, there is plenty of different types of accommodation on offer.
The beautiful Bunya Mountains are only a short drive away
and Jimbour House is worth visiting.
- Pros:Excellent Melon Festival and Markets!
- In a nutshell:A lot more to see & do than you would think!
What is great about the Melonfest, is that you don't have to spend a lot of money as many things ARE FREE. It is up to... more travel advice
When the public gain entry to the Arena, they can try any of the available. I've told you about two of them, the other... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Chinchilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA"
- "Chinchilla - Melon Capital of the World..."
- "Melon Capital, that's about it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chinchilla
- Hotels in Chinchilla
- Warnings and Dangers in Chinchilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chinchilla
- 30 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (583)
Have you been to Chinchilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chinchilla
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues