"CLARE & THE BEAUTIFUL CLARE VALLEY" Clare by balhannah
Clare Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 134 photos
Clare is a favorite of mine, as there is always something to see, including heritage towns, walking trails, scenic drives, vineyards, boutique wineries, museums and galleries, it is a picture postcard!
Clare was settled in the 1840's, and was named after County Clare in Ireland.
Fleeing religious persecution in Silesia (now part of Poland), Jesuit priests planted the first vines in 1851 and produced some of the World's best Riesling. .
The Clare Valley has more than 40 cellar doors with the majority of Wineries lining a narrow 40km corridor, between Auburn and Clare.
Explore conservation parks to see giant 50,000 year old wombat fossils, stunning native wildflowers and a large Australian colonial home, such as Martindale Hall, see buildings made out of Bluestone, and visit the local Markets selling produce like olive oil and saltbush lamb.
The Clare Valley is worth taking the time to explore!
Enjoy riding like a fellow VT'er "Claus" from Denmark, then you will want to pick up the FREE BROCHURE "the Riesling & Rattler Trails."
These are scenic routes you can either walk or ride along.
The Rattler trail is over 19kms from Auburn to Riverton.
The Reisling trail is over 10kms
Autumn and Spring are nice times to do the trails, its not too hot or cold then!
Vineyards......Vintage is from February - April. The wineries will be very busy then.
For more information on trails, check....
We are going for a short drive to SEVENHILL, where some of the oldest vines in the Clare Valley are growing.
- Pros:Nice town, beautiful scenery!
- In a nutshell:Has everything you could want!
Yorke Peninsula Coach Services provide a service to Clare and the towns in the Clare Valley. On Mondays, it doesn't... more travel advice
For me, this was the best lookout in Clare. The road runs off the Main North road, just south of the Clare Caravan Park.... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Clare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Clare Valley - Wine Tasting ... Pure Joy!"
- "CLARE & THE BEAUTIFUL CLARE VALLEY"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clare
- 36 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Clare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clare
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 242 reviews, 692 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 121 reviews, 414 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues