""ASTRONOMY CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA'" Coonabarabran by balhannah

Coonabarabran Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 132 photos

NATURAL BEAUTY ABOUNDS

Coonabarabran....is a small rural town of 3000 people, located in North Western New South Wales.

Located in the Warrumbungle Shire, with only an overall population of 11,000 people, this area has three great National Parks ..........

COONABARABRAN also has many interesting and historical buildings dating back to the mid 1800's.
You can pick up a walking tour brochure from the Information centre in Town.

Coonabarabran is the closest gateway to the majestic Warrumbungle Ranges, which is one of the best places in NSW to experience nature.
Enjoy bushwalking amongst the spectacular scenery and ancient volcanic
remnants of Warrumbungle National Park, encounter wildlife up close and
by night, there is plenty of it here, I loved this area.
The skies are clear, this may be an indication why Coonabarabran is
known as the 'Astronomy Capital of Australia.

THE PILLIGA..........

The Pilliga State Forest is regarded as a birdwatcher's paradise with about
240 bird species already recorded. A brochure, which includes a list of the birds and information about the bird routes, is available from the Coonabarabran Visitor Information Centre and Baradine Forestry Office.
Detailed maps of the Pilliga are also sold here.

There are 8 self drives routes which vary in length from 52 km to 80 km.

Nestled on the edge of the Pilliga Forest, Pilliga Pottery is the only pottery in Australia to use a specialized technique of applying bright glazes and engravings to terracotta.

This produces a stunning lead light effect, which brings their unique designs to life

On our 11,500km journey, we passed through Coonabarabran, as we had been here many times before.
Do check out THE WARRUMBUNGLES.... which are just a short drive away.

We are moving onto GILGANDRA where we will stay the night.

• Pros:Natural beauty
  • Cons:Not many shops open on weekends if looking for somewhere to eat
  • In a nutshell:Good base to visit quite a few National Parks
  • Last visit to Coonabarabran: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2013

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Very interesting page and striking photos, as always!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM

This looks like a great place to find out about astronomy. I like the idea of the milk cartons to show the strength of gravity on different planets and stars.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Dec 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It was a great idea. One milk carton I could only lift about and inch as it was so heavy and then another was was so light and of course there were many different weights in-between. It was an interesting experience.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Those letterboxes looks funny!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Feb 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Rather unique. Must be some innovative people living around there!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I love places like these Dee! Thanks for sharing a hidden gem! Neat page!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Never ceases to amaze me how two people can go to a place and see it completely differently. Now I have to go back and see it all again!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

What an exotic name, Coonabarabran, I have never heard of this before. But in my country we have names like Eyjafjallajökull ;) I very much would like to see the world's most colourful crystal!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I must admit that I have never heard of Coonabarabran before, but at least the name sounds fascinating. Lovely page with brilliant photos here.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 7:25 AM

What a name, what a place. Very interesting pictures. Love the unusual mailboxes.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Fascinating area, and I'd love the museum with the crystals, fossils and rocks.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Interesting page on Coonabarabran. I love these names esp. Tooraweenah and Warrumbungles. The old stores are so cool. Love the pic of Mother Emu & 3 chicks. My neighbour used to decorate Emu eggs as a hobby.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Coonabarabran

Have you been to Coonabarabran?

Latest Activity in Coonabarabran