""ASTRONOMY CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA'" Coonabarabran by balhannah
Coonabarabran Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 134 photos
NATURAL BEAUTY ABOUNDS
Coonabarabran....is a small rural town of 3000 people, located in North Western New South Wales.
Located in the Warrumbungle Shire, with only an overall population of 11,000 people, this area has three great National Parks ..........
COONABARABRAN also has many interesting and historical buildings dating back to the mid 1800's.
You can pick up a walking tour brochure from the Information centre in Town.
Coonabarabran is the closest gateway to the majestic Warrumbungle Ranges, which is one of the best places in NSW to experience nature.
Enjoy bushwalking amongst the spectacular scenery and ancient volcanic
remnants of Warrumbungle National Park, encounter wildlife up close and
by night, there is plenty of it here, I loved this area.
The skies are clear, this may be an indication why Coonabarabran is
known as the 'Astronomy Capital of Australia.
The Pilliga State Forest is regarded as a birdwatcher's paradise with about
240 bird species already recorded. A brochure, which includes a list of the birds and information about the bird routes, is available from the Coonabarabran Visitor Information Centre and Baradine Forestry Office.
Detailed maps of the Pilliga are also sold here.
There are 8 self drives routes which vary in length from 52 km to 80 km.
Nestled on the edge of the Pilliga Forest, Pilliga Pottery is the only pottery in Australia to use a specialized technique of applying bright glazes and engravings to terracotta.
This produces a stunning lead light effect, which brings their unique designs to life
2012 - On our 11,500km journey, we passed through Coonabarabran as we had been here many times before.
Do check out THE WARRUMBUNGLES.... which are just a short drive away.
2012 & 2016 - GILGANDRA is the next town.
- Pros:Natural beauty
- Cons:Not many shops open on weekends if looking for somewhere to eat
- In a nutshell:Good base to visit quite a few National Parks
Coming from Narrabri, we entered Coonabarabran and took the first road to the left over the Castlereagh river. This is... more travel advice
On the John Renshaw Parkway that takes you into the National Park from Coonabarabran, watch out for some unusual... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Coonabarabran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once a booming tourist destination"
- ""ASTRONOMY CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA'"
- "Passing through Coonabarabran"
- "Gateway to the Wurrumbungles"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coonabarabran
- 9 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (586)
Have you been to Coonabarabran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coonabarabran
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues