"COWELL" Cowell by balhannah
Cowell Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 30 photos
Cowell is a coastal town located beside Franklin Harbour on Eyre Peninsula, 493 km by road from Adelaide.
Cowell is in the centre of an agricultural district, plus farming wheat and sheep. Recently, oyster farming has become an important industry.
Matthew Flinders was the first explorer to record a sighting of Franklin Harbour, mistaking the harbour for a lagoon or lake in 1802.
It was in 1840, that Governor George Gawler came and named the harbour after Sir John Franklin (Governor of Tasmania and famous Arctic explorer), who had been a midshipman on the voyage in 1802 with Flinders.
In 1880 the Governor named the town of Cowell after Sir John Clayton Cowell the Lieutenant-Governor of Windsor Castle.
These days, instead of driving to the tip of Spencer gulf, there is a ferry that you can take across from Lucky Bay near Cleve to Wallaroo. The crossing takes 2 hours.
Check out this website for more details...........
After a good nights sleep at our Caravan Park, it was time to leave Cowell and travel inland to the small town of CLEVE
- In a nutshell:Quiet seaside town
This Caravan Park is located 3kms from Cowell, so you need a car to reach here. The road to the park was located on the... more travel advice
Another Australian town, another "Black Stump," only this one is different to the others as it was used as a New Years... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Cowell Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Cowell
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (586)
Have you been to Cowell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cowell
Photos in CowellSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues